My Experience with 70-620

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Passed today...A little embarrassed to put my score...792, which may actually be my highest score on any Microsoft exam to date..

For study material I used the MS Press book and VMware Fusion with a Vista image. I would also like to add that the networking section in the MS Press book (Chapter 7) is well done and would be good preliminary material for anyone working on 70-291.

I feel like I could have taken this exam without reading the book and done just as well (I've used Vista for quite a while before the Mac, and I'm tech support for my wife, who uses Vista everyday). The book does provide good practice on and good coverage of topics that one might not otherwise read (such as ReadyBoost). I don't regret reading this book as I feel like I got some good information from it.

This concludes the MCSA for me. Next up are two IBM exams (664 and 667) covering service-oriented architecture. I'm experienced in this topic and recently wrote some courseware for some upcoming SOA classes, so I expect to complete these two tests very soon.

Following that, I have a customer who wants to achieve SOA using BizTalk, so my next Microsoft exam will be 70-235. I'm not willing to put a timeframe on this one yet.

I may at some point in the future pursue another security elective (such as 70-351) to complete the MCSA/S, but continuing down the MCSE path is not a priority for me. If I get free time I might look at it, but right now I feel like my exposure to BizTalk is likely to lead me in another direction

MS

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well done eMeS, you knocked those last two off pretty quickly. I think following the BizTalk direction would be a good move for you given your practice.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    icon_thumright.gif

How long did it take you to read the press book? I'm currently reading it (Chapter 3) and thinking about taking the exam towards the end of August...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech wrote:
    icon_thumright.gif

How long did it take you to read the press book? I'm currently reading it (Chapter 3) and thinking about taking the exam towards the end of August...

I read about 4 chapters per day, so around 3.5 days total. I read very fast, so YMMV.

MS
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I don't mean to belittle MS' accomplishment, but this is a pretty basic exam for someone with a decent amount of experience. I think I put nine days into it while I was also studying for something else.

MS, ever thought about knocking out 293 while the 291 material is fresh in your mind? That'd pretty much just leave the AD material in 294/297.

Good luck with the BizTalk pursuit. It's interesting to see someone doing something different. Keep us posted.

Congratulations :D
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, I don't mean to belittle MS' accomplishment, but this is a pretty basic exam for someone with a decent amount of experience. I think I put nine days into it while I was also studying for something else.

I don't feel belittled. In fact I agree. Most people that use Vista in a home setting will be familiar with most of the objectives of this exam.
    dynamik wrote:
    MS, ever thought about knocking out 293 while the 291 material is fresh in your mind? That'd pretty much just leave the AD material in 294/297.

I have, but doing so would be of very little incremental value to me.

Becoming the 197,569th MCSA broadened the range of Microsoft classes that I can deliver. The time to complete it was worth that. Becoming the 127,611th MCSE would be nice, but doesn't offer the same value.

Working to become the 212th MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 makes much more sense to me.

I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond.

However, no option is off the table...

My plans are:

1 - IBM SOA Certs - (Related to coursework that I recently developed and upcoming classes that I am delivering)
    2 - BizTalk - (Related to #1, as well as integration/SOA work I am doing for a customer in Dallas)
    3 - TBD, likely something to do with SQL Server/BI, as a natural outgrowth of working with BizTalk
    4 - TBD, likely the MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007
    5 - ITIL Master - Yes, there is something above "ITIL Expert"! Once the requirements for this are set I will pursue this.
    6 - Certified Management Consultant (CMC) - This is offered in the US by a professional organization called the Institute of Management Consultants. It is well-respected worldwide and difficult to achieve.

This path will likely keep me busy for the next couple of years.
    dynamik wrote:
    Good luck with the BizTalk pursuit. It's interesting to see someone doing something different. Keep us posted.

BizTalk is a really interesting product. I am happy that I am getting the chance to work with it. I think it is positioned well as an integration product. I think it is particularly important to be in this space in the next 1-2 years as there will likely be an increase in the rate of mergers and acquisitions as an effect of the current economic shakeup. Every merger and acquisition will require some amount of integrating various systems and applications.

In late July I am conducting a 1-hour webinar focused on achieving SOA with BizTalk Server 2006. This is through a training provider that I often work with. Rather than posting the link here, if anyone is interested please contact me privately and I will ensure that you are invited.
    dynamik wrote:
    Congratulations :D

Thanks!

MS
    Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, where are you getting those MS certification numbers from? I'd google it, but I'm sure others are interested as well ;)
    dynamik wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, where are you getting those MS certification numbers from? I'd google it, but I'm sure others are interested as well ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certified.mspx

Good stuff....knowing how rare or common specific qualifications are is a good thing when planning education/credentialing.

MS
    Wow. I may have to hold off on looking for a new job until I get my MCITP:EA. It'd be nice to be 1 of only ~3000
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

Wow, that's interesting looking at them number of MCSA, MCSE, ect....
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    I wish this information was available for all of the certification programs.

I'd also like to see first attempt pass rates for individual exams, etc...

MS