Post worthless jobs here

2»

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People must be accepting jobs at those pay rates or we wouldn't keep seeing them.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    I have actually been approached TWICE in the last couple of months for a job by recruiters off workopolis.

The only problem, I ALREADY WORK THERE.

How hard is it to read a resume? Why would you offer me a job I already have? I sometimes want to go through with it and see if I can get an interview set up lol

Recruiters can't read.
  • telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote:
    I get random nonsense all the time.

One of my favorites....A recruiter called me out of the blue one day. He acted like we were old friends and told me that he had reviewed my resume and that he had the perfect job for me. I told him to send it to me.

The "perfect job" was a junior-level position doing some database work and writing Perl code for a large retail chain with "Wal" in the name.

I played along, and asked him how much they were paying. He said, based on experience, up to $18 per hour!

Me: "Wow", I said. "Where do you see the words 'Perl' or 'database' in my resume?"

Him: <silence>

Me: "Did you read my resume?"

Him: "Are you saying that you don't know how to do these things?"

Me: "Are you saying that you don't know how to read?"

Him: Stammering..."I just thought that since you were in IT that these would be things you could do."

Me: "And I thought that since you identified yourself as a 'recruiter' you'd be able to figure out what people are right for what jobs."

Him: <silence>

Me: "Ok, here's the deal. We've been talking for a little less than 5 minutes. I don't normally bill in 5 minute increments, but for you I'll make an exception. Based on what I normally earn, you owe me $18 for wasting the last 5 minutes of my life. How do you want to pay?"

Him: <silence><click>

I never sent an actual bill, but looking back that would have been funny.

MS

this is absolutly without question the most hilarious account ive heard in a long time. Im still laughing.

Mr eMeS I salute you, and thank you for giving me a big laugh.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate the daily calls I get from the recruiters in India who speak with a thick accent and say their name is John Smith.....

I haven't had Indians yet, but I have been called by Japanese or Chinese recruiters a few times. Normally I am great with languages and understanding people with accents since I speak English and German and have taken Latin and Spanish and can understand them for the most part, but man understanding these people was rough. I was sorta curious where they were calling from and if it was costing them an arm and a leg to call from some country on the other side of the planet.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    Job Title: Deskside Support Rep.
    Job Status: Full Time
    Pay Rate: $15.50
    Duration: One Year

Duties: BS or BA degree or equivalent experience. 6 months -3 years in technical disciplines which relate to the duties assigned Vendor personnel to perform client personal computer builds and configurations plus customer assistance with problem source identification and problem resolution at the customers desktop. Includes consultation with the customer on the utilization of support groups such as LAN Admin, Networking, etc. Build and configure client personal computers. Provide deskside support to clients for PC hardware and software. Platform may be OS/2, WIN 95, WIN 98, WIN 00 WIN NT, or other. Direct ownership of problem resolution. Analyze and resolve a majority of customer problems at first contact. Follow up calls to customer to assure incident closure. Update and close call records for work being performed. Utilize standard processes and escalation procedures as documented. Works with minimal assistance. Ability to learn technical information. Can assist others. Good command of customer service techniques. Good oral and written communications skills. Demonstrate tact and sensitivity when working with clients projecting a positive image. Good interpersonal skills. May need to communicate and work with other vendors and suppliers, with minimal assistance. Must be able to work in a team environment. Responsive to work schedules and project schedules. Intermediate knowledge of PC hardware and operating systems software, including laptops and desktop models; local area, token ring and Microsoft networking; TCP/IP; NetBIOS; office applications; Email tools; Web Browser tools and Web technology; multivendor environments; Lotus Notes and SmartSuite

would you want 15.50 with an bachelors deegree??[/b]
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Platform may be OS/2, WIN 95, WIN 98, WIN 00 WIN NT, or other"

IT guy: 'Another one of our boxes got hacked today. It is now displaying pictures of n.ude single women from Romania that are mail ordered brides. I think a couple of guys from facilities management wrote down some of the numbers. We might want to order XP finally.'

IT Director: 'Good! Keep it that way. It is promoting a positive workforce!"
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    AmpdChaos wrote:

No but you may have to accept $15.50 with a bachelors degree if you have 0 work experience.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate the daily calls I get from the recruiters in India who speak with a thick accent and say their name is John Smith.....

I haven't had Indians yet, but I have been called by Japanese or Chinese recruiters a few times. Normally I am great with languages and understanding people with accents since I speak English and German and have taken Latin and Spanish and can understand them for the most part, but man understanding these people was rough. I was sorta curious where they were calling from and if it was costing them an arm and a leg to call from some country on the other side of the planet.

I take that back... I spoke with a "Richard" today that was definitely not in this country... I should have asked if I could call him Dick.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    AmpdChaos wrote:

No but you may have to accept $15.50 with a bachelors degree if you have 0 work experience.

yea but cost of living in San diego is MUCH higher than here. So I can see that being more or less $11.00/hr
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    I sent in a resume for a job recently, and an accompanying form asked for my experience level with different kinds of equipment. I put beginner/intermediate with most of it - nothing with expert. Never listed paid experience. Anyway, they called for an in-person interview, and round-trip I drove 400 miles and took a day off work in order to talk to them. When I finally got there and sat with the hiring manager and his assistant, he immediately asked me if I had experience. When I ultimately said "no", there was this long pause (not good). He then replied, "Ok, well, here's the thing.....", at which point I knew I didn't have the job.

He stated that the job *required* 3 years experience and that my skills sheet listed me as "expert" with all the aforementioned equipment! I said that I never put that down, and that the temp agency which submitted me must have deliberately altered my skills. He said, "Yeah, they've done that before." That's just great. After they gave me a polite "we'll call you if we're interested" and I got to my car in the parking lot, I called the temp agency and told them about the fiasco and that I wanted to be reimbursed for gas and for taking a day off work. She said sure, and guess what? They never reimbursed me nor contacted me again.

I wish I could remember the name of the company so I could be sure and drag them through the mud.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I sent in a resume for a job recently, and an accompanying form asked for my experience level with different kinds of equipment. I put beginner/intermediate with most of it - nothing with expert. Never listed paid experience. Anyway, they called for an in-person interview, and round-trip I drove 400 miles and took a day off work in order to talk to them. When I finally got there and sat with the hiring manager and his assistant, he immediately asked me if I had experience. When I ultimately said "no", there was this long pause (not good). He then replied, "Ok, well, here's the thing.....", at which point I knew I didn't have the job.

He stated that the job *required* 3 years experience and that my skills sheet listed me as "expert" with all the aforementioned equipment! I said that I never put that down, and that the temp agency which submitted me must have deliberately altered my skills. He said, "Yeah, they've done that before." That's just great. After they gave me a polite "we'll call you if we're interested" and I got to my car in the parking lot, I called the temp agency and told them about the fiasco and that I wanted to be reimbursed for gas and for taking a day off work. She said sure, and guess what? They never reimbursed me nor contacted me again.

I wish I could remember the name of the company so I could be sure and drag them through the mud.

Now let me begin with the part that what the agency did was BS and they should reimburse you for falsifying your application and having you drive all that way. On the other hand why are you continuing to apply for jobs that require more then a year or so of experience. You can't just jump into the field and start working as a network admin. You NEED to start out at the bottom like we all doing do tech support/help desk/desktop support. as it has been pointed out before you lack some troubleshooting skills which are built from starting out with the positions I listed above. If you really want to get into this field you may have to take a paycut to what your making now doing what you do for work. I'm sorry thats just the way it is, when I was finishing school and had a job making 25k I worked a second one waiting tables to pick up extra cash. You gotta make sacrifices and bust your ass to make it plain and simple. Sorry for the rant but I'm tired of reading these posts where you complain about now having a job. Apply for jobs that are at your level.

Have a look here since I don't know where in Florida you live I did a state wide search on dice for help desk jobs and it returned over 10 pages of them. Enjoy!
    Help Desk Jobs

Try for those and you should have better results.
  • the_erickeethe_erickee Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Local Oklahoma City Company has an opening for IT Support. Candidates will be responsible for all aspects of customer support, including but not limited to, modifications, repair and preventative maintenance of computers, software, systems, communication devices, and employee and policy changes. Candidate will also perform desktop support as required. They will assist in modifies, tests, installs, and services of LAN/WAN hardware as assigned. Ideal candidate must have a broad knowledge of general technical field, Bachelor*s degree in IT, and minimum of 7-10 years experience. Must be project oriented. This is a contract opportunity for 3 months.

15.00/hr
    Erick Marshall - @erickbm

MCSE,MCITP x2,vExpert 2015,VCAP,VCP5 x2,MCSA x2,MCTS x3,MCP x2,UCP,Network+,A+
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    LMAO, we might have a winner with that one. A 3-month *contract* that requires at least 7 years experience and pays $15/hour? How does someone write that job description with a straight face?
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Job Position: Network Services/Support
    Job Location: ASHBURN, VA
    Duration: 4 Months (Can Extend)
    Job Description:
    * Installations of PC and Unix hardware and related equipment
    * Windows 2003 and prior version servers and levels of Sun Solaris and Linux installations based on reference systems supplied by Systems Developement Group
    * Review supporting documentation for the operation and installation of heardware related equipment
    * Respond to calls and trouble tickets from Network Operations Center for hardware, software, network assistance and prolem resolution
    * Maintain and troubleshoot a wide range of client problems in addition to repairing servers and peripheral equipment, i.e., web systems and DNS, mail, and news servers
    * Implement systems and software upgrades of OS and configuration changes for users
    * Install all cables, connections and cross-connects to data center network and customer equipment
    * Maintain a knowledge of building infrastructure (UPS, generators, HVAC, electrical components, security, and surveillance systems, and other facilities maintanance), front/backend connectivity
    * Ensure that DMOQs are met relative SLAs
    * Install hardware and software as defined in Hosting Service Guide
    * Support client on-site needs
    * Respond to service support within 5 minutes
    * Respond to sercice delivery in less than 2 hours
    * The work environment is a 24x7 operation where shift work and duty on weekend and holidays is required
    * Stay current on changing computer and network technologies
    * Installations and build out of cages, cabinets and ladder racking
    * Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    * Strong knowledge of network cabling infrastructure including common internal wiring techniques (EIA568A/B)
    * Thorough understanding od how to organize and dress cables and wires includes labeling
    * Computer System Maintenance/Diagnostics and Repair
    * Computer Operations
    * Testing and Certifications of cabling infrastructure, software images, networking
    * Trouble Analysis
    * Networking Protocols (OSI model)including telecom, Ethernet
    * Support client, vendors access and egress per Security Policies
    * Manage supplies, materials per Policy

Skill:
    1) Server Hardware installation Expert Required
    2) Server Hardware troubleshooting Expert Required
    3) Networking Protocols (OSI Model) Expert Required
    4) network cabeling, labeling and troubleshooting Expert Required
    5) telco circuit testing Intermediate Desired
    6) Outstanding Communication skills Expert Required
    7) Customer Service skills Expert Required
    icon_cool.gif Solaris/Linux OS Intermediate Required
    9) Mircosoft OS Expert Required

This is called getting worked to death in 4 months. That place must be a mess.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Sadly I have a Bachelor's Degree, B.S. Business Admin in MIS from a California State University, and em making only $15 an hour. The crappier thing is I subcontract for IBM who contract me out to AT&T working deskside support.

Needless to say I was off of work for three years due to damn near killing myself fracturing vertabrae in my neck while having a seizure in December 2004. I have been at my current job for about a year now. The temp agency doesn't like handing out raises. We have one fellow who has been working for the same temp agency for four years and has only had ONE RAISE! Cheap bastards if you ask me.

I'm looking for other work right now and sometimes I do get discouraged looking at the ads on Craigslist. These companies/people who want to hire someone with crazy experiance for the lowest wage possible. Sometimes this enforces my wants of opening my own business.

IBM does look good on a resume. But wish they would just hire me on as an IBM'er so I could get 50% more wage working for them as opposed to them just paying the agency $30 an hour for me working for them.

I had an interview for a job in Bakersfield for HelpDesk at an insurance company. THe pay is $45K a year. My buddy is a programmer for the place an he said it took them 45 days to get back to him to tell him he was hired. They said they were going to contact me last Wednesday, still ain't done heard from them. My friend said I had a really good change of getting hired due to my experiance. We will see! I have applied for 7 other jobs since last Sunday, including one at the University of Southern California I know that I'm more than qualified for. Wish me Luck.
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Just went onto Career builder and came across a New Horizons job posting. That makes me wonder if Career builder is a complete waste of time, if New Horizons is still hanging around there. New Horizons drags down the value of job search sites.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • LifelongLearnerLifelongLearner Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote:

You mean I could be doing all that for 12-14 bucks an hour!!!!! Sign me up!

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys like the saying goes. I wonder what kind of person they found (if they did) that would be willing to work for that kind of money? Probably a braindumper. LOL