Options

Career Advise for Seniors

Jaqmar2001Jaqmar2001 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just turned 42, and I was wondering if, it was not too late for me to get into the IT field? I am currently in a frustrated dead-end job and would like to change my career. I've just bought two Microsoft Press books for MCDST (70-271 / 70-272) from Amazon. I am also considering 70-270, N+, Security+,....up to MCSE etc. What would my chances be to be employed by an IT company, here in the UK?

Any advise please. Thank you.
Martin.
UK

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hiya,

in my humble opinnion it doesn't matter what age you got to change your job. The problem with IT is simply experience. Some companies just prefer experience over Microsoft exams.

Which doesn't mean they won't hire you ... We are a hosting company and we did hire someone who is 40 ish .. so it IS possible...

Also : I did see lots of companies looking for people who want to change .. Most people (any age really) start of in technical support and grow within a company ...

If you don't have a problem to do some support I don't see a problem there.

In my case as well : I am a Electronics engineer and left Germany 7 years ago and worked in Xerox as printer support agent. From that point on I studied some IT topics (no microsoft exams really) and about 18 month later I worked in my first IT job. Two years after that I worked as team leader and work now in the UK in a 9-5 job in IT and earn good money.

Granted, I am 8 years younger - but I think it all depends how easy you can digest the new IT materials .. if it is easy for you - then I don't see a reason why you shouldn't find a new job.

Check out totaljobs.com if you want to stay in the country (otherwise go to Ireland-its easier there), or even don't hesitate to get a lower paid job in time share companies .. I know they are sh** - but normally help you to get a foot in the door.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise. If you have names of companies who would like to help guys like me to change my career, please let me know. You can send me a private message, if you'd like.

I attended all the CNE classes back in 1999. I passed CNA in Aug 2000. I also attended A+ class in 1999. This was in South Africa at the time. Exam costs were extremely high, so is the unemployment rate. I have no current experience in the IT field whatsoever. I've been familiar with computers since 1994.

Thats my IT background so far....
    Martin.
    UK
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    42, senior? Here is the USA that means you got another 23 years of work ahead of you! Plenty of time for a career change as long as you have your financial bases covered during the transition.

What exactly do you want to do in IT? Networking seems to be what most people are doing on this board. The money would be more in programming and consulting though.

Europe is moving rapidly from Microsoft to Linux, this is a great time to be in the UK for that sort of work. The hard part is you need to know both.

Make sure you start to get into the industry, look out for trade shows, listen to podcast

My $.02 on how to get into IT right now...

Step One - Business Apps
    Master Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Visio and Project. Volunteer a library/senior center to help people with Office/computers. Gotta know Office inside and out, no excuses.

Step Two - Client OS.
    I would start with the A+ certification and then move into a Microsoft client OS line 70-270 (XP) or 70-620 (Vista). Vista is easier in general and will serve you better in the years to come so I will say emphasis there. After you finished A+ and a Microsoft Exam I would do Linux+ or LPIC-1. LPIC is better if you have long term Linux goals, otherwise Linux+ as it never expires.

Step Three - Networking Fundamentals
    I would dive into CCENT or maybe even Network+ given your background. Network+ would be the perfect review for your Novell. Both exams in a perfect world would be great.

Step Four - Server OS
    Now mix your networking and client knowledge in the server world. Without a doubt the best place to start is going to be 70-290 and then 70-291. If you are into the Linux world, then slap LPIC-2 into your lineup.

Step Five - Specialization
    general knowledge is great, but they are a dime a dozen. Specialize into something like Exchange Server, CRM software, Security, database or something. Too many options here to list.

Over all you are looking at a lifelong path of learning with IT. You will never stop learning about the next great technology, and there are companies that need you at every step of the way out there. You won't get rich, but you'll always be challenged.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Wow, this is a mouth full of good info. Thank you. Much appreciated.
    Martin.
    UK
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Thanks Daniel333 for your detailed answer. It is helping me try to figure out my path too.