Options

best way to study

Alien8predatorAlien8predator Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I was just wondering in how many different ways people study for the MCDST exams, and which is the best way to study besides from practical experience? Right now I take notes by making an outline of the main chapters/lessons in the book. Just looking for ideas to increase the knowledge I get from studying by the way I study.

Comments

• Options
    Jaqmar2001Jaqmar2001 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was once told, the more you write things out, the more you will remember. Like 21 times.

Not that I am writing my notes out as much. Visual helps for me too, like watching the classes on DVD. CBT Nuggets for instance. Also obviously, the more you do practical work, the better understood.
    Martin.
    UK
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Doing things is the best way I learn. however, for the DST, there arent many things to do, its more memorization.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I studied for the DST, when I would come across a concept that I didn't know 100% either from a book or CBT Nuggets I would stop and mess around with XP experimenting with the concept until it was second nature. I also agree with the post about writing some things out.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Different people learn in different ways - I agree with the last post though. When I found something that I either had not done before, or hadn't done in a long time, I would stop and run through it on my WinXP box to get more of a hands-on feel. In my case, I actually do desktop support in a WinXP environment, so I was able to put a few of the things into practice in the workplace - things that I did before, but wasn't quite able to get my head around (such as figuring out total permissions between NTFS/share permissions).

Other than that, I learn best by a combination of reading, taking notes, lots of practice exams questions, and hands-on. So I read the Sybex book twice, and took notes regarding things I wasn't clear on, or things I thought I would need to commit to memory (such as the various Function Key options during installation, RAID levels, minimum hardware requirements for XP). Out of all those lists, the first thing I did when I entered the test was to jot down what I could remember onto the whiteboard they gave me - the only one that came in handy was the minimum hardware requirements!

The notes really helped though, because in the 30 mins leading up to the test I simply reviewed my notes, instead of flipping through test questions or a textbook - which is overwhelming when you're just about to take a test.