Which MCSA to choose?

New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
MCSA on Windows 2000 or on Windows Server 2003.

Which is the better one to pursue and why?

I'm thinking that this certification is in my future but am unsure which path to choose.

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Hmm... I'm pursuing MCSE 2003 and have wondered if maybe I should have gone the 2000 route... I've been told by some guys with 2000 certs to just go for 2003 since it will obviously hold up longer. Of course if you go with 2000 you can upgrade it with just one more exam and have both. You can't do that with 2003.

Even still, I am going with the newer cert.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lazyart wrote:
    Hmm... I'm pursuing MCSE 2003 and have wondered if maybe I should have gone the 2000 route... I've been told by some guys with 2000 certs to just go for 2003 since it will obviously hold up longer. Of course if you go with 2000 you can upgrade it with just one more exam and have both. You can't do that with 2003.

Even still, I am going with the newer cert.

I'm pursuing 2000 and then I'll upgrade when my organisation implements 2003, that way I have 2 certs :)
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The way I figure it - go for the OS you have in your organisation. Upgrading to 03 is just a little more and from what I see around our clients most of the W2K people will stay with that until the replacement for 03 becomes available.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I'm doing 2003....I have more experience working with 2K, so I will study for 03 to learn a little bit more....I'm not too worried about having an MCSA in both 2K, 03....
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say do MCSA 2000 and then upgrade to MCSE 2003.

More companies are running Windows 2000 than have upgraded to 2003. Many companies will stay with 2000 as its a great product and dont need to spend the $ to rollout a new version, training etc.

I think your job prospects are better with a win2k resume right now.
  • BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was at that road after doing some research I discovered it will be cheaper in the long run to go for your 2003. This way, for now you don't have to do any upgrades (1 for MCSA, 1 for MCSE). Plus if you are taking your 70-270 all you have to do is build off of that knowledge to learn some of the new features of 2003. Do you already posses any AD knowledge or experience, or have you experienced a 2003 system yet? I guess what I would say, in the end, go with what you are comfortable with.

Good luck
  • wylie24wylie24 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went with the MCSA on the 2000 course because I have read that some companies have actually downgraded to 2000 because it is more stable and secure. Not to mention there are a lot of companies still using 2000 because of the fact, "if it ain't broke, dont change it." Not to mention, with one more exam, you can upgrade and you are certified on both 2000 and 2003. One exam is not all that bad.
    Helpful Hint
    > When your brain leaks out of your ears, you need to stop reading and play a game!!!!!!!!!
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    It may be cheaper to go for the 2003 in the long run, but it looks better on the resume to have both
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=