How Linux+ helped

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
So I'm hoping some of you would be willing tell me how the Linux+ certificate helped you in the job market?

Comments

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hasn't helped in the job market because I have been in the same job for 2 years, but it HAS helped me in everyday tasks and responsibilities. Things like troubleshooting log files, configuring the system/startup parameters, managing and monitoring processes, understanding and interpreting scripts, exporting env variables, etc. All of these I do on a weekly basis.

If you work on Linux/Unix machines regularly to perform general tasks like those listed above, Linux+ helps greatly.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux+ helped me get my first IT Job as an IT Support Tech. The pay sucked but the job was pretty good for experience. The IT Manager told me that he liked the fact that I had a basic knowledge of Linux and Linux certification. Since then it has not helped much since I mostly only support Windows and at little Mac OS 9/X.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • adam_hartling@hotmailadam_hartling@hotmail Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It could be helpful if you ever apply for a job with a company using a Novell NetWare enviroment as Novell is moving to a Linux based infrastructure.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another since thing about Linux+ is that is says Linux on it. HR and recruiters looking for Linux skills sees under education LINUX and will take note. This is different with HR people looking for people who are good with Windows 2003 and exchange where your certifications don't say Windows Enterprise Certified and Exchange Certified, and instead say Microsoft Engineer Messaging.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Another since thing about Linux+ is that is says Linux on it. HR and recruiters looking for Linux skills sees under education LINUX and will take note. This is different with HR people looking for people who are good with Windows 2003 and exchange where your certifications don't say Windows Enterprise Certified and Exchange Certified, and instead say Microsoft Engineer Messaging.

this might be my next goal after MCSE just to be more well rounded.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Linux+ has both helped and hurt me. It's helped because I not only learned a lot about Linux and Unix in studying for the exam, but I also get to say that I have a more rounded background when applying for jobs. The downside is that, because a lot of recruiters and HR people search resumes by keyword, and "Linux+" has the word Linux in it, I get a lot of emails about jobs that entail a lot more *NIX experience than I have. For some odd reason, everyone assumes I can tackle Sr. Systems Engineer positions, based on having Linux+.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.