Good link to all security-related certs?

Anyone have one?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm working on a page that will list those, including a short description and link to their 'home pages'. Anyway, in short:

- (ISC)2 www.isc2.com for SSCP and CISSP
    - www.eccouncil.org for CEH and CHFI
    - www.cisco.com for CCSP and CCIE Security
    - www.Checkpoint.com for CCSA and CCSE
    - www.rsasecurity.com/node.asp?id=1261 for RSA CA/CI/CSE
    - www.securitycertified.net for SCNP and SCNA
    - www.giac.org (SANS/GIAC) for GSEC GCFW GSLC GCIA GCIH GCWN GCUX GISO GSNA GCFA GSAE
    - www.isaca.org for CISA and CISM
    - www.comptia.com for Security+
    - www.microsoft.com for MCSA and MCSE :security

(this list is not complete yet...)
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Webmaster wrote:
    I'm working on a page that will list those, including a short description and link to their 'home pages'. Anyway, in short:

- (ISC)2 www.isc2.com for SSCP and CISSP
    - www.eccouncil.org for CEH and CHFI
    - www.cisco.com for CCSP and CCIE Security
    - www.Checkpoint.com for CCSA and CCSE
    - www.rsasecurity.com/node.asp?id=1261 for RSA CA/CI/CSE
    - www.securitycertified.net for SCNP and SCNA
    - www.giac.org (SANS/GIAC) for GSEC GCFW GSLC GCIA GCIH GCWN GCUX GISO GSNA GCFA GSAE
    - www.comptia.com for Security+
    - www.microsoft.com for MCSA and MCSE :security

(this list is not complete yet...)

HAHA... It should them started. Thats a few years of studying right there... icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    After Sec+, what would be the next logical step as far as certs are concerned?
    After Sec+, what would be the next logical step as far as certs are concerned?

that would depend on your experience level and the environment you want to work in. The combination of those two factors could send you in hundreds of directions...What is your experience level?
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Security related? None, other than the knowledge gained from Sec+.

As far as the direction I want to go in, I'm unsure at this point.
  • xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    www.isaca.org is another site that may be of interest. It involves IT Audit practices, and the CISA cert.

LostInSpace: I was at that crossroad and technically, still am. :)

I would suggest a technical cert as your next move. The CISSP may be 'tempting' because it doesn't require an elaborate lab setup or specialized equipment and it may seem like an extension to your SEC+. However, technical certs (Checkpoint or Cisco) will benefit you more in the early stages.

I'm currently working on the CEH (thanks to Ten9t6's added recommendation) but I'll be hot on the trail towards the CCSP next. Err... atleast until I save enough money to attend some CCSP courses.

-Xevious
    I agree...I would go after a vendor cert like Cisco or Check Point. Something you can get your hands on and practice. To be able to take the CISSP you need a 4 degree + 3 years security experience or no degree and 4 years experience. The SSCP (ISC2s other cert) needs one year experience in security before you can take that test....The CISA also has a minimum requirement...and it is only given once a year, and that just passed in July. I hope this helps...
    Kenny

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I would suggest a technical cert as your next move. The CISSP may be 'tempting' because it doesn't require an elaborate lab setup or specialized equipment and it may seem like an extension to your SEC+. However, technical certs (Checkpoint or Cisco) will benefit you more in the early stages.
    I agree, plus the 4 year security-related experience requirement for the CISSP exam doesn't make it a possible next move after sec+. Plus it will be very difficult to get a job as a CISSP without the proper experience, security-related but also operating systems and networking.

LostInSpace, refering to your questions in your other post, IMHO it may be wise to finish the MCSA path, or even better the MCSA:Security path. After that you could take a Cisco route, or the CCSA (Checkpoint Firewall) which is in high demand: www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4642
    Considering I'm getting the degree, do you think it's safe if I start focusing on security related certs? I know employers may like the MCSA, but I don't feel like it will be as necessary if I have a bachelors degree plus 2 years of experience under my belt.
    Although I'm sure the degree will prove to be valuable, in most cases it won't replace the required knowledge of 'what' you want to secure. On the other hand, if you are interested in the less-technical side of security you may not always need your vendor certs such as MS and Cisco. But 'the other guy' being interviewed for the same job, who is MCSA/E CCNA/P, will have a major advantage.
    xevious wrote:
    www.isaca.org is another site that may be of interest. It involves IT Audit practices, and the CISA cert.
    Thanks I'll add it to the list.
    I suppose that I realize the MCSA would be the best choice, but it's just something that doesn't interest me at the moment. With that being the case, it's really hard to be motivated to study. I plan to get it someday, but I was thinking of pursuing Security-related certs now and getting my MCSA in another two years when I get my four year degree, hoping my employer would pick up the price. By the way, I'm serving an internship at the moment and it is the reason why I'm leaning this way. Things look promising and I think that once I get my four year degree, I will be hired full time. In which case, my certs are paid for as long as I pass. Either way, I feel like I can pursue the MCSA after college. Does this seem like a decent idea?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would think by the time you finish school, certs, and their importance may have changed. If you get your MCSA now, you only need to take any upgrade exams M$ puts out to stay current. Plus, 2003 will be more popular then versus 2K. But, if you're that confident you can do it later, go with what you can get yourself right now. What guarantees do you have you'll get that cert paying job after school? I know the internship helps a lot, but two years is still two years.

my 3.1451 cents
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can relate with the not motivated to study part. After finished school I had so many directions I could go in, MCSE 2003, Linux, Security, Database. I didn't want to go for my A+ and Net+ at first, because I feel that I am so far advanced for that, but I realize that it all comes in time. Right now I am reading to sit of the 70-270 test. I was thinking about taking Sec+ or one of my 2003 cores, but I figured I would slowly climb that latter, because as I do, I am going to be re-enforcing the knowledge I have which will make the next certs that much easier.

Good luck
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    I know I should do the research and get the correct links and titles, but thought I'd post them in case someone has a little more time and can get it done faster.

Other security-related certs:
    Planet3 has a wireless security cert (CWSP?)
    Prosoft (CIW fame) I believe also has a security cert (w/prerequisites)

If I get some time, I'll locate the correct cert titles and links and post them here to be added.

Thanks for the list Webmaster!
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Okay... here's the detail (hopefully I've ditched the "what a lazy guy" title :D)

(TICSA) TruSecure ICSA Certified Security Associate (TruSecure / ICSA Labs) :: https://ticsa.trusecure.com/
    (CWSP) Certified Wireless Security Professional (Planet3 Wireless) :: http://www.cwne.com/cwsp/
    CIW Security Analyst (Prosoft) :: http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/secanalyst.asp

Some more to add to the list.

Take Care,
    rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CWSP is a little over a year old and a new revision of it is due out in 2005. 802.11 and other wireless standards are changing so fast these days I can see the CWSP being revised every 18 months for quite a while.

I'm studying for the CWSP right now, and it seems that 80% of it is about message authentication, privacy (encryption), and integrity.