O'Reilly school technology

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Has anyone look into these certificates? Are they worth considering?

What's your thoughts?

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Looks pretty cool, imo! Can't wait to see what people think that have taken the courses.
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    I'm thinking this looks pretty valuable considering you get your certificate from the University.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    How new is this?

I'm actually interested in the .NET development...

O'Reilly books are good but from my experience most of them are very text based almost like a Novel, so they tend to be boring icon_confused.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    I am not sure. I stumbled across it researching on types of certificates that do not expire.
    niter3 wrote:
    I am not sure. I stumbled across it researching on types of certificates that do not expire.

I don't understand how a certification that deals with Technology can not expire... icon_eek.gif

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It just loses value as the technology becomes obsolete. Everyone who got an NT4 MCSE is still one. I'll be a 2003 MCSE in a decade. Whether they expire or not really doesn't make a difference.
    dynamik wrote:
    It just loses value as the technology becomes obsolete.

I agree here.

Maybe some certifications do not expire but they lose value.

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Note that these are certificates of course completion, not IT certifications. Many college extension programs offer certificates to indicate that you have completed a specific sequence of classes in one of their programs. The O'Reilly book publisher is the extension course provider for the University of Illinois.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Note that these are certificates of course completion, not IT certifications. Many college extension programs offer certificates to indicate that you have completed a specific sequence of classes in one of their programs. The O'Reilly book publisher is the extension course provider for the University of Illinois.

Yes this is true, but if you have $1,000 to add a notable name to your professional development section in your resume why not? :)

Plus you could probably learn quite a bit.

I just would like to find more information on this... doesn't seem to be much on the web.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does O'Reilly's notable name mean anything to HR? Most HR personnel can't tell the difference between an MCSA and an MCSE.

That's a honest question. Just something to think about...
    dynamik wrote:
    Does O'Reilly's notable name mean anything to HR? Most HR personnel can't tell the difference between an MCSA and an MCSE.

That's a honest question. Just something to think about...

True very. My point is its just another item underneath your professional development and it can teach you something.

Because well you can't put that you read a O'Reilly book under Education icon_lol.gif

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    jryantech wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

Yes this is true, but if you have $1,000 to add a notable name to your professional development section in your resume why not? :)

Plus you could probably learn quite a bit.
    You will take your career much farther if you spend that $1000 researching and writing a book for O'Reilly than getting a certificate with the O'Reilly name on it. You'd be surprised at how much of a subject authority O'Reilly books authors are considered to be. And in writing a book you will learn much more than by only taking a few classes.