Options

Not getting any phone calls

JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
Ok... so I haven't been working for a while since I wanted to step away from desktop support and get my CCNA. Well I have my CCNA, updated my resume with it, and guess what? NO PHONE CALLS. I was getting flooded with phone calls last year. Now I don't get ANY. I also joined DICE.COM, Yahoo Hot jobs, looked into Craig's List, even my state local website. I even applied to a couple of Jr. Networkign positions for Wall St. jobs in NYC which specifically said "Good for learning experience". Now no calls back or emails. NOTHING. This is getting very frustrating.

Has anyone else noticed a dip in hiring? Or is it just my sh!t luck?
CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
[IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.

Comments

• Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    The job market is really bad, the only places I've been getting calls from is for temp jobs. Any IT job openings are across town which would be like a 2 hour drive with traffic.

Any non-IT related jobs are slim pickings also. I've checked around and there's nothing that's usually open during summer time.

All the companies seem to be locked up tight for recession mode.

As for your case, you should try making the calls/emailing resumes, and shifting through monster, careerbuilder, and any other job site for openings. Maybe there's openings but they just don't see you.
  • Options
    The problem is that between Dice, Hotjobs, and Craig's list are that they all contain the same job postings. Just like you trying to reach out across all job searches, the recruiters are doing the same... eventually you end up with the same thing. I've called former co workers, emailed some guys if they knew of anything, and they didn't even respond yet. Its like their email is f'ing broken. And I know they are still working there.

Yes, the job market definitely sucks... and I was looking forward into IT support for big banks... looks like they won't be around anymore icon_sad.gif

I will try Monster in a bit. If I come across the same postings I'm going to go nuts....

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    How does your resume look. I went through a few rounds of having a resume before getting it right and getting calls. Keep trying, don't give up. Post your resume so we can take a quick look at it.
  • Options
    Name
    Phone# Email

SUMMARY
    Over four years of IT related experience, primarily in helpdesk related troubleshooting. Now seeking a position as a junior level network engineer in an environment that provides learning opportunities through troubleshooting, problem solving and teamwork.

EDUCATION
    December 2004 Computer Science A.A.S. Degree with Network Administration Option at xxxxx Community College, xxxx, NJ

June 2008 CCNA Certified (640-802)

TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
    Basic configuration of Cisco Routers and Switches for small networks
    Basic knowledge of protocols: IP, EIGRP, OSPF, RIP
    Networking concepts: VLANs, Spanning Tree Protocol, Access lists
    Microsoft Windows 2000/XP SP2 experienced with some Active Directory support
    Ticket queue management using Remedy/HP OpenView Service Desk 4.5

SUPPORT SKILLS
    • Able to distinguish scope of personal job duties and if necessary, rerouted, escalated or reassigned tickets to correct groups accordingly
    • Able to summarize highly technical explanations to end users in plain English
    • Adaption to changing processes and procedures
    • Documentation of a working solution during ticket closure

EMPLOYMENT
    Desktop support – Siemens IT Solutions and Services, Nutley, NJ
    May 2007 – February 2008

My role was to support end users of xxxxx (Roche), which consisted of 4000 users in a large campus and some off campus sites. This work demanded strong customer support skills in person or over the phone if the work was performed remotely. Tickets were managed under a Service Level Agreement timeframe.

• Repaired certificates for Cisco VPN software for remote users using VPN access
    • Enterprise activation and overall support for Blackberry PDA devices
    • Sharing and discussion of solutions to a commonly shared database accessible to other team members
    • Restored functionality of lost network print devices and mapped drives and synchronization settings for Microsoft Outlook

Move Technician – Judge Technical Staffing, Bridge Water, NJ
    November 2006 – April 2007

Project involved relocating a corporate office site of 1000 users for xxxxx (Pharmacy). All IT assets were physically relocated to a new location. In addition to the relocation, I performed a follow up on users to ensure accessibility to the corporate network which includes mapping the proper network printers and file shares, as well as correcting moving related computer hardware issues. Project was completed on time.

PC Tech Level II – Siemens Business Services, Basking Ridge, NJ
    April 2006 – September 2006

Project involved hardware rollouts for a new xxxxx (VZW) site in Basking Ridge, NJ which involved deploying PC workstations and laptops for new users. The corporate domain consisted of 1500 users on site. Another major accomplishment for this assignment was data encryption of laptops using Utimaco SafeGuard Easy software for additional security late in the project.

• Installed software applications and maintained Windows security updates through ESD Desktop Manager
    • Troubleshooting user workstations for various hardware and software issues providing status reports through helpdesk tickets.

Desktop Services – Software House International (SHI), Woodbridge, NJ
    July 2004 – November 2005

Performed various IT support tasks for end users of xxxxxx Food Corporation during a hardware migration project.

• Performed data backups of Lotus Notes and user documents for workstation migration from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.
    • Migrated users to upgraded IBM T40 Thinkpad Laptop models
    • Added new users to a Windows 2000 domain of 1000+ users across different sites

Student Advisor - xxxxxx Community College, xxx, NJ
    January 2004 – May 2004

• Assisted students with one on one help for computer programming languages C++, Visual Basic and Microsoft Office Word and Excel applications

Lab Assistant - xxxxx, Red Bank, NJ
    June-September 2001, June-September 2002 (Two summer intern jobs)

• Joined project as a system tester. Beta tested layer-2 switch OS using command line interface (CLI) and monitoring of SNMP messages.
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    give me a few to look it over and send out to friends to gut check.
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Networking!!!! Statistically, only about 10% of jobs get filled via classifieds/online. Find a way to get a foot in the door by networking with others. Go to the bookstore and get "What color is your parachute", an eye-opening read for job hunters.
  • Options
    I am trying to get a hold of someone I know who worked in Networking at Verizon in Basking Ridge. I used to work there during a hardware rollout when AT&T sold a building to Verizon in 2006. Since then I haven't spoken to those people until I got my CCNA... now that I have it... I emailed those people and they haven't responded for a few days. What the f uk.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Networking!!!! Statistically, only about 10% of jobs get filled via classifieds/online. Find a way to get a foot in the door by networking with others. Go to the bookstore and get "What color is your parachute", an eye-opening read for job hunters.

uh... I'm not to sure about that book after researching it on Amazon, found this review on it:
    I don't understand why this book is considered such a classic reference. I found it badly written, not that useful, and WAY too religious. The chapter about how to determine your true mission in life is ALL about God and religion. You may agree or disagree with the author's religious views, but regardless I do not think that belongs in a job-hunting book. As a disillusioned corporate worker trying to change careers, I really needed practical, real-world advice.

There was also a review about writing stories about yourself to find out more about yourself.... whats up with that? I would think the book would focus on telling you who to seek out and where, rather then taking a psychological test.
    The most critical part of the book is the self evaluation section. This is a very structured process that can be used intutitively as well. Bolles asks you to write a few stories about yourself, then, what did you like and dislike about those stories? What did you do well, where did you fail or feel challenged beyond your abilities? These are the critical areas of the book that take time to get through, yet you can evaluate yourself and understand what you like, it is what you do best, usually.

So yeah... I'm not sure about this book even though it has good ratings.
  • Options
    Sounds pretty lame to me too. Thanks for pointing out the reviews. I'll make sure to skip this book and the person who suggested it.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try your local college that's how I've found my last desktop support gig. I've gotten a few job offers from interviews for jobs I've found on Craigslist. Otherwise I haven't had luck with sites like Dice.com.