When sending a resume through email->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
What do you guys put in the body?

Right now here is what I have, but not sure if it is really that great.

To Whom It May Concern,

Here is my resume for the job position of (position).
I am currently working as the Infrastructure Engineer at (my company name), however I am looking to relocate to (city I am relocating to). I am
interested in this position and would like to speak with you further.
Thank you for taking the time to look over my resume and feel free to
contact me at any time. I look forward to speaking with you about this
opportunity.

Sincerely,

(my name :p)

Can you guys help me out and maybe revise this - if needed - thanks!

Comments

• LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    sharptech wrote:
    What do you guys put in the body?

Right now here is what I have, but not sure if it is really that great.

To Whom It May Concern,

Here is my resume for the job position of (position).
    I am currently working as the Infrastructure Engineer at (my company name), however I am looking to relocate to (city I am relocating to). I am
    interested in this position and would like to speak with you further.
    Thank you for taking the time to look over my resume and feel free to
    contact me at any time. I look forward to speaking with you about this
    opportunity.

Sincerely,

(my name :p)

Can you guys help me out and maybe revise this - if needed - thanks!

Sounds fine, you may want to trim it down a little. These people like to pretend that they are very busy, so shorter and to the point is better. Cut out, "I am interested in this position and would like to speak with you further." I think that is obvious to the reader, but I may be nitpicking because it is probably fine as is.
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    larrydaman -

OK I can cut that out - I thought the I am working for (company) was not to important, however I am applying from a different city hence the I want to relocate part.

Thanks for the help.
    sharptech wrote:
    larrydaman -

OK I can cut that out - I thought the I am working for (company) was not to important, however I am applying from a different city hence the I want to relocate part.

Thanks for the help.

It is true, you could also cut out "I am currently working as the Infrastructure Engineer at (my company name)". They will see that on your resume.

There is probably no right or wrong way to write this. But if it is short and concise, it may have a better chance of being read and maybe even understood.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I consider an e-mail containing a resume to be a cover letter and write it as such. So, to me yours is too short and could include more information about why you are the best candidate for the position and what skills you have that prepare you for the position. Again this is only in my opinion, but it needs to get their attention well enough to make them actually want to take the time to read your resume.
    darkerosxx wrote:
    I consider an e-mail containing a resume to be a cover letter and write it as such. So, to me yours is too short and could include more information about why you are the best candidate for the position and what skills you have that prepare you for the position. Again this is only in my opinion, but it needs to get their attention well enough to make them actually want to take the time to read your resume.

We all have different methods, but if that is the case... attach the cover letter too. I thought he was just looking for a brief statement to get them to open the resume. A whole cover letter in the body of your first e-mail might be a bit much IMO... who says they would even read it, but a quick 2 or 3 sentence e-mail that gets to the point and then they open all of your attachments. Again, I do not think there is a wrong or a right way. Also, many people do not even write cover letters anymore, believe it or not. I help with interviews and hiring and rarely see them anymore.
    Either way could work, however I attach the resume and cover letter as documents and write a short statement in the email.

A lot of times the HR department just takes the documents and prints them off, so if you have that in an email it would not get passed along, but either way I am sure is fine.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    sharptech wrote:
    Either way could work, however I attach the resume and cover letter as documents and write a short statement in the email.

A lot of times the HR department just takes the documents and prints them off, so if you have that in an email it would not get passed along, but either way I am sure is fine.

That's a good idea. Most of the ones I've sent e-mails to have been directly to the person doing the hiring, so I didn't think about it. It would be better to attach both separately.
    Yeah it really depends on who it will be going to - good point. If you are sending directly to the person who is in charge of IT then the cover letter in email would work, but most of the ones I have applied goes to HR.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use something along the same lines of yours and haven't had any trouble so far. The only thing I would say is it sounds a little choppy and not very fluid.

I have never used a formal cover letter, but probably would if I sent my resume through snail mail. I don't really see the point of attaching a cover letter and resume when you already have the body of the email.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.