Options

Certificate Questions

Question 1: If you earned your ISA 2004 which gave you your MCP has your MCP expired?

Question 2: If I choose courses to achieve my MCSA and those courses happen to expire, do I loose my MCSA?

Question 3:How long will the MCSA be valid for? They say it will not expire until the next release of client and server versions come out. Is the next release after Windows 2008 server???

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, no, and forever!

The exams retire, but your certifications don't expire.
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    From what I understand a friend of mine's MCP has expired.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Absolutely not. Mainstream support for his cert has ended, but his cert didn't expire.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Okay, I am deciding weather to pursue my MCSA. However, when the next version of server after 2008 and client after Vista comes out, I'm guessing they'll be an upgrade path?
  • Options
    There's an upgrade from the 2003 to the new 2008 MCTS/MCTIPs, but it's not likely you'll be able to upgrade directly from a 2003 MCSA or MCSE or whatever comes after 2008. I don't think you could upgrade from NT4 to 2003, and you can't upgrade from 2000 to the new certifications.
  • Options
    Which would be the smartest path then?
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Absolutely not. Mainstream support for his cert has ended, but his cert didn't expire.

Which means it is not VALID correct?
  • Options
    niter3 wrote:
    Which means it is not VALID correct?

The certification is still valid. If you got an NT4 MCSE, you'll be an NT4 MCSE for life. They just lose value as the technology becomes obsolete. The exams retire, but those certifications don't expire.
    niter3 wrote:
    Which would be the smartest path then?

Dive in whenever you want. Just be prepared to upgrade each time a new version is released. You can start with 2003 or 2008; it depends on your circumstances.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certs and passed exams don't expire, but they may not be very valuable in the real world.

I passed 70-227 (ISA 2000) earlier this year simply because I had paid for the CBT Nuggets videos and Transcender tests as part of bigger packages and didn't want to waste it. It still counts towards an elective for my MCSA (and MCSE/A + Security) even though the exam itself is no longer offered.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you still have your doubts, there is a Q&A page that goes over a lot of the new policies, as well as the New Generation Certification Lifecycle Policies which talks specifically about how new and old certs will be handled once the lifecycles of the products they represent are over.

As for what you should start with, I can give you this piece of advice. There's nothing wrong with going the Windows Server 2003 route, but it is an aging product. While the MCSA and MCSE will be relevant for years to come by virtue of the rather large install base of Server 2000 and 2003, it's only a matter of time before the MCITP series of certifications will begin to gain recognition, as they're Microsoft's new flagship-certs. The real difference between the old certs and the new is that the MCITP series digs deeper into specialties, such as Exchange and SQL Server. For Windows Server 2008, there are two paths: MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

If I were you, I'd start with the Vista test, which is applicable to both MCSA/MCSE and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator as a desktop OS exam, and choose the path you want to go afterwards.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Damnit, I thought this was going to be a challenging PKI question that would cause me to look stuff up to refresh my memory (which is a good thing).
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    royal wrote:
    Damnit, I thought this was going to be a challenging PKI question that would cause me to look stuff up to refresh my memory (which is a good thing).

That's what I think every time I see the thread title.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/