Options

Virtualization Hardware - help

macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've read somewhere, to do efficient virtualization, you need hardware that supports it. I know some intel C2D processors have VT enabled whilst others aren't. Are there any special motherboards for this purpose ? or will any supported motherboard with VT enabled C2D processors do the trick?.

what will be the difference between, virtualization on a VT enabled processor & and a non VT processor?.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What virtualization product do you want to use?

Hardware can be negligible to critical depending on what you want to go with.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of VMWare and VirtualBox.

Should i get a VT enabled intel C2D ?, what about latest motherboards?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If you're buying a new proc for virtualization, why wouldn't you get one with virtualization optimizations?!

FYI, if you're gonna virtualization stuff, you really should be looking at quadcore, not dual core. Q6600's are only $200!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    ^^ this is only for educational use, not some bleeding edge stuff. Do you think a E6600 C2D with 4 Gig would happily run 4 virtual machines running on 512Meg ram ?.
  • Options
    Yea, but the price difference is so negligible, it doesn't make a lot of sense not to go for one.

You probably won't even use 1gb for the host OS, so you'll have 3gb remaining do whatever you want with.

You should consider spreading your VMs over multiple disks or running raid 0, 1, or 10. The single disk is my biggest bottle neck. I can get 8-10 (and probably more) running on a core2duo with 4gb of ram.

Also, be sure to get a 64-bit OS. Otherwise you won't be able to access all 4gb.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    In a word yes.

I run four machines happily on a 1.6 Dual Core with 2GB of RAM.

Granted they only run with 256MB RAM but thats all they need.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, but the price difference is so negligible, it doesn't make a lot of sense not to go for one.

go for Quad ?, i was thinking of upgrading my ageing dinosaur, just buy the proccy, mobo, ram & psu.

Also, be sure to get a 64-bit OS. Otherwise you won't be able to access all 4gb.

i'll be using linux :D
  • Options
    How much were you planning on spending on a core2duo? The quad is $185: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%2050001157%201050727216&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Linux has 32-bit versions as well ;)
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    get a Q6600, end of story. Talking bout a difference so huge, with a cost difference so minute, the expense will pay itself back faster than you know it.

You can overclock your dual core more, but it cant grow two more processors
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003