How do government jobs look on a resume?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
So I just came off a contract with the DoD. A job I really didn’t want to take but it payed extremely well. I have another job offer with the DHS ICE dept. Another government job I really don’t want, I don’t like ICE or INS at all. However, it comes with 15% pay increase and job title advancement. Which in this economy is a mixed blessing.

I’m not particularly fond of the government. Not that I hate America or anything, but the ability to hold back the little voice inside me screaming “fascist” is always a concern. I made it though the last job ok with actually a page full of bright shiny new references and everything. So it’s not that I’m not a good worker.

I just can’t help but feeling like a sellout.

Do you guys think working for the government and holding security clearances are a minimal, good, or excellent addition to your resume?

If you do hiring would you consider government work on a resume a plus or minus?

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    if the reference you get is positive towards your work why would it ever be a bad idea to put it on a resume?
    WIP: IPS exam
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote:
    Do you guys think working for the government and holding security clearances are a minimal, good, or excellent addition to your resume?

If you do hiring would you consider government work on a resume a plus or minus?
    Excellent (the security clearance can come in very handy in the future)

Personally, I would consider government contract work on par with mid-size enterprise work experience.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    if the reference you get is positive towards your work why would it ever be a bad idea to put it on a resume?

No the ref's are fine. I got along with most of my co-workers alright. I had to bite my tongue when one lady was going off on people speaking Spanish on her Vacation when she stopped over in Miami International Airport. Then there's that overall vibe of America #1 no matter what we do, woohoo!

I donno, I'm probably over thinking it.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Doing work for the government is always a good reference IMO. Especially as a civilian. I am biased though. The company I work for targets only governement jobs.
    icon_lol.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it would be an excellent addition to your resume. You can't beat all the holidays you get when working a federal job either!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.