Capella University Quick Question

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
Hey I just have quick question ! As I'm reading about Capella online university, I'm just wondering if the student should be in the US to take the master degree ?? or can you just sign up from any place in the world ??
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I want to take the InfoSec master degree :)

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    That'd probably be a question to ask capella themselves I don't remember reading anything on their website about international study. The InfoSec program is a good choice though I was going to pursue the program before I found the one I'm starting next month.
    shednik wrote:
    That'd probably be a question to ask capella themselves I don't remember reading anything on their website about international study. The InfoSec program is a good choice though I was going to pursue the program before I found the one I'm starting next month.

The one you found is better ?? Can international student apply ? any link ? :)

by the way I stumbled upon many hate websites against Capella !! I'm wonder now if it's a good deal to begin with !

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep in mind that JD got his MS in InfoSec (now "Information Assurance and Security") from there and has had many positive things to say about it. I believe it helped him land his current job.

Shednik is lucky enough to live by a school (actually two if I remember right) that offers an InfoSec program.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You can take classes from Capella anywhere in the world (many Capella students are in the military overseas), but I believe that you must be a legal resident of the USA or Canada to become a student.

And yes, I have Capella's MSIT InfoSec and am working in InfoSec now partially because of it.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    JDMurray wrote:
    And yes, I have Capella's MSIT InfoSec and am working in InfoSec now partially because of it.

I know there are plenty of Capella comments and debates on here already, but do you feel that the school has established enough of a respected reputation?

I have been speaking to a rep from the school. I really like the programs they offer, especially the MSIT in InfoSec. Apparently applying my PMP and my CISSP (when I pass it on Oct.19) will allow me to earn a Masters after just 7 classes. I would have to petition for credit, but apparently it is just a formality.

My problem is just that... a Masters Degree in 7 classes? That doesn't even sound right. How credible is that? Also, the school is less than 10 years old and is not very long established. I don't want to realize in a few years that I wasted thousands of dollars for a ill-respected degree from a school with a rep similar to the University of Phoenix. Unfortunately perception is very important, especially if it is a negative one.

Does anyone know anything about the the organization/person running the school?

Any positive/negative feedback from employers?

General perceptions?

I guess what I am saying is that I want to enroll, but I am trigger shy. icon_redface.gif
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    I've been working on my Bachelor's in Business Admin there for about a year, will be finishing up in the fall. I'm also considering going there for my MBA, that is until the GI bill got a whole lot sweeter, now I'm going to shoot for Tulane (big diff, I know).

As far as the hate sites, I found that myself when I was researching Capella. If you dig deeper, you'll find that the site is run by a kid that got kicked out b/c of calling the staff and students morons, and generally being an a-hole. He then got mad and made that site, I wouldn't give that much credibility. For every 1 angry guy that makes a hate-site, there are thousands of happy students that are going on their merry way.

I believe that you do have to be a US citizen, but like another poster said, there are people attending from all over the world. Get in touch with them and see.

I've been pretty happy with my program at Capella. The things I've learned have applied directly to my work, and I fully believe I'm a better employee b/c of the classes I've taken there. However, I also share your fear of the university getting a bad rap, it being "nontraditional". It is a young college, but is also regionally and nationally accredited. The bad things I've heard about the school pertain to the school of Psychology, and I've read nothing but good about their business and IT programs. Online learning is relatively new, so yes, they are ONE of the pioneers.

As someone in the IT field, it is my opinion that someone that earns their degree online is able to seamlessly integrate technology into their work. I've been a project manager in one of my classes, and had to organize meetings online amongst team members from around the world, it was a great learning experience.

My personal feeling is that online degrees will only become more respected over time, as the internet continues to become a bigger and bigger part of everyday life. If you agree with that train of thought, then it makes sense that the universities that started the online learning movement will be the ones that are most respected in that field. Is that statement a gamble? Absolutely. So was Christopher Columbus' journey across the open sea.
    As far as the hate sites, I found that myself when I was researching Capella. If you dig deeper, you'll find that the site is run by a kid that got kicked out b/c of calling the staff and students morons, and generally being an a-hole. He then got mad and made that site, I wouldn't give that much credibility. For every 1 angry guy that makes a hate-site, there are thousands of happy students that are going on their merry way.
    Those sites were up when I was researching Capella back in 2004. It's amazing the energy one person can put into that sort of liable for such a long period of time. And the guy is still going. I gave one of the instructors he hates a favorable rating on www.ratemyprofessor.com and he immediately posted a counter-review--misrepresenting that he had just taken a class with the instructor. I've wondered what other organizations and institutions has also has an active vendetta against.
    larrydaman wrote:
    I know there are plenty of Capella comments and debates on here already, but do you feel that the school has established enough of a respected reputation?
    I think very few colleges have a respected reputation with respect to InfoSec because there are so few InfoSec programs. CMU comes to mind, as does the US Air Force. I assume Stanford has an InfoSec program, and probably MIT as well. Those are all respected names.
    larrydaman wrote:
    Apparently applying my PMP and my CISSP (when I pass it on Oct.19) will allow me to earn a Masters after just 7 classes. I would have to petition for credit, but apparently it is just a formality.

My problem is just that... a Masters Degree in 7 classes? That doesn't even sound right. How credible is that?
    I don't care for the certs-for-credit angle either. I could have saved some money by collecting a few more certs and applying them to the degree, but I decided I needed the education just as much as the diploma, so I did the full 15 classes. I think the cert thing is just a marketing gimmick to get people to enroll. Many of my fellow students were getting their Masters as part of a requirement for a promotion to management or a pay raise, and they could get their employer to pay for their degree if it were only 7-10 classes over 15-18 months. They wanted fast paper more than a thorough education.
    larrydaman wrote:
    Also, the school is less than 10 years old and is not very long established.
    Capella has been around since 1993. It's their online program that's under ten years old.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Wow, funny stuff. One guy owns 4 different Capella hate sites. Apparently, he had trouble learning online in 2004, got booted from the school for being a jerk. THEN he sued them all the way to U.S District court and lost. He claimed his short term memory problem prevented him from using the online format effectively. He sued under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I did a WhoIS search and he owns all of these sites... Jeffrey La Marca

His sites:
    http://www.capellalawsuit.info/mt/
    http://www.capellauniversity.org/
    http://www.capella-sucks.com/
    http://www.capellanazis.com

His bogus lawsuit
    http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/index.php?id=2561

This guy is filled with SO MUCH hate.

I want to enroll at Capella today. I mean it, it must be a decent school if it booted this guy out.

I spent the last 10 minutes signing this guy up for free Capella literature!! He will soon be getting information and phone calls about like 15 degree programs. icon_wink.gif

What rage, imagine if he used his energy for something good!
    I'm pretty sure I could do better with MS Paint than he can do with Photoshop (Nazis site on left).

The "Sucks" site even has a forum. Half the posts are saying his stuff is unbelievable.

He has another section for trading books with other Capella students. Did he expect a lot of use out of that?

I don't think this guy has all his marbles.
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163

What program is shednik starting?? info please...

I think Im going for the sans MSISE program... very interesting program.
    larrydaman wrote:
    He claimed his short term memory problem prevented him from using the online format effectively. He sued under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).
    Assuming that's true, he must have considerable difficulty with a lot of different educational learning programs, not just Capella's. Short-term memory problems would require special educational with personal coaching and tutoring, and that's certainly not the typical online learning environment.
    larrydaman wrote:
    I want to enroll at Capella today. I mean it, it must be a decent school if it booted this guy out.
    Yeah, Capella could have knuckled-under to him just to avoid the bad publicity, but they've had the character and integrity to stand up to the outlandish harassment. There's no telling how many people decided not to enroll at Capella after seeing those sites, but Capella seems to have remained a class-act through it all.
    dynamik wrote:
    He has another section for trading books with other Capella students. Did he expect a lot of use out of that?
    I think he is phishing for Capella students so he can spam and harass them as well.
  • mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is Capella a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education?
    I mean, by the NSA? Just curious...
    mengo17 wrote:
    Is Capella a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education?
    Yes. Their InfoSec program can certify for NSTISSI-4011 and CNSSI-4013.
    mengo17 wrote:

Might as well throw out the link for anyone who's curious: http://www.capella.edu/schools_programs/business_technology/masters/information_assurance_security.aspx

Does anyone have any idea how strict those government agencies are with handing out their approval? Does that help validate the program or do they simply rubber-stamp most programs?
    dynamik wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea how strict those government agencies are with handing out their approval? Does that help validate the program or do they simply rubber-stamp most programs?
    I have heard from a number of knowledgeable sources that it's not difficult to get on the NSA's ACE list, but it takes time, as they admit only so many programs per year. The ACE only designates that a specific InfoSec curriculum is available at an educational institution, but does not ensure a high level of quality of the program, the materials, or the instructors.

It's also important to note that the CNSS National Standards designations are not automatically awarded when anyone completes the program. Specific classes must be taken in the program to qualify for each standard, sort of like the necessary units required to be awarded a minor with an undergrad degree.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Sorry for the late reply UnixGuy, if you're looking for an online program in infosec I'd say Capella is your best bet. as Dynamik stated I am lucky enough to have 2 universities in my city that have infosec programs established. If you're curious of the program I'm enrolled in take a look at this link, but I don't know that they offer much of the program online. They do take a lot of international students but you have to come study here.

Master of Telecommunications - The one I am enrolled in.

Masters of Information Science - May be more of the type you are looking for.

I chose this program because I knew how well the school is recognized in my area, and they also are a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education and will certify 5 of the CNSS standards 4011-4015. So when I was accepted it was a no question for me.
    Very interesting debate guys !!

so nobody have any information if Capella accepts non US citizen living outside US ?? if anybody can provide me with information regarding this, I'd be grateful. I'll send a letter to Capella and tell you what happen

UnixGuy wrote:
    so nobody have any information if Capella accepts non US citizen living outside US ??
    It is best you get that information directly from the offical source at registrar@capella.edu or LearnerSupport@capella.edu.
    JDMurray wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:
    so nobody have any information if Capella accepts non US citizen living outside US ??
    It is best you get that information directly from the offical source at registrar@capella.edu or LearnerSupport@capella.edu.

Thanks for the email JD, I will send them an email now, and I will post the result here :)

Just to keep you updated..

Capella didn't respond to my email yet icon_sad.gif

Yeah, things are slow in schools during Summer vacation.
    I contacted them from another email last week, also no answer.

Do you guys have any other way to contact them ?? any other email maybe ?

There is a toll-free phone number on Capella's Contact Us page.
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    shednik wrote:

What program is that shednik? If you don't mind me asking.
    shednik wrote:

What program is that shednik? If you don't mind me asking.

He posted the link a few posts back ;)