MS software for MCSE

macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if Microsoft provides trial versions of Windows 2003 Server & XP Pro for preparing for the exams. If so what do i need to get those.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    If you are using MS Press materials, they will come with trial software. I am sure there is trial software on the site as well, but I don't have the link offhand. I am sure someone will come through shortly with the link. In the meantime, I will look myself.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx#EHD

Go to that link and then click on "Download trial software" Then you will have to sign in with a Windows live ID and you should be able to download it that way.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    XP Trial Versions are not available anymore due to the release of Vista

2003 Server can be found here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx

Edit: Beaten by one to many typos!! icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Many thanks guys,

I will be following non-MS press materials, I haven't got a clue which software I need for the exam.

which software are required for MCSE ?. do i need to get Exchange Server ?.

I followed the links on the stickey, the trouble is i can't install MS Silverlight software on my BSD & OSX box to view the contents icon_mad.gif .
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look into a Technet download subscription as well. $299/year, but you get access to every MS product with no limitations whatsoever. It's been a really great resource.

You only need Exchange if you use Exchange as your elective.

Silverlight = lame. Such as hassle. It actually seems like a solid product, but it's not supported well at all. Not like Flash is great on *nix either though...
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    macwhizard wrote:
    Many thanks guys,

I will be following non-MS press materials, I haven't got a clue which software I need for the exam.

which software are required for MCSE ?. do i need to get Exchange Server ?.

I followed the links on the stickey, the trouble is i can't install MS Silverlight software on my BSD & OSX box to view the contents icon_mad.gif .

You will need vmware, server 2003, xp/vista.

You will need the above for the core elements depending on what exams you take.

If you take the exchange exams then you will need exchange yes. Exchange is heavily used and most would recommend taking it. i know i will at some point
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:

why vmware ?.

yes, i'm taking Exchange as elective.
    dynamik wrote:
    Look into a Technet download subscription as well. $299/year, but you get access to every MS product with no limitations whatsoever.

does that mean i can use any software available there for personal/educational use ?. blimey.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    macwhizard wrote:
    nel wrote:

why vmware ?.

yes, i'm taking Exchange as elective.
    dynamik wrote:
    Look into a Technet download subscription as well. $299/year, but you get access to every MS product with no limitations whatsoever.

does that mean i can use any software available there for personal/educational use ?. blimey.

Because most people use virtualisation on one box.

Yes, i think the technet subscription is for personal use and only to you
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Sorry, I should have posted the link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx

It's great for businesses too, as long as you just use the products for test/evaluation.

You also get two free support calls, which pretty much pays for the subscription if you use them.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You could also go for the Action Pack, which is legal to use for production, too. $330 for that. That's what I use.
    Good luck to all!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    You could also go for the Action Pack, which is legal to use for production, too. $330 for that. That's what I use.
    It's only for Partners though...
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    astorrs wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    It's only for Partners though...
    So become a partner, just go to Microsoft's Partner Site. All you really need to do is declare yourself a "company" with Microsoft, and associate your Live ID with the partner ID. I've been a Microsoft partner for years, which is how I've managed to snag new editions of software for free, a subscription to both Redmond and TechNet magazine for free, and gotten first-notices about launch events and offers (like Beta exams, and the like). You also get access to some extra goodies on Microsoft Learning.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    While you're correct in that it is easy to become a Registered Partner with Microsoft, you're lying to them (and therefore violating the EULA for all the Action Pack products) if you don't actually own a business that provides one of the following services (and 75% of your sales are from outside your own company):
    Consulting services provider
    Independent hardware vendor
    Independent software vendor (ISV)
    Large account reseller
    Original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
    Support provider
    System builder
    System integrator
    Value-added provider
    Value-added reseller

I've been a Microsoft Partner for years and all Partners almost lost the Action Pack benefits in the past due to abuses of the subscription (people were registering there company, lets say a doctor's office, as Microsoft Partners so they could "save" on licensing costs, etc).

A TechNet Plus subscription is the appropriate channel for most visitors to this site.
    There's nothing that says you have to own your own business to be a Partner per se. You simply need to be a person who has provided services.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    There's nothing that says you have to own your own business to be a Partner per se. You simply need to be a person who has provided services.
    I can't agree, as I read the following quote they are expecting you to have at least registered as a sole proprietorship (or whatever the local term is where you are) and therefore have established a business presence.
    Is my organization entitled to participate in the Partner Program?
    The Microsoft Partner Program is designed for businesses whose primary function is to sell, service, support, or build solutions on the Microsoft platform, or to provide solutions based on Microsoft products and technologies to independent, third-party customers.
    Nowhere in that statement does it say its open to individuals who provide (or have provided in the past) similar services on the side.
    dynamik wrote:

followed the link, it ends up with MS Australia, tho the link says "en-us" !!!! and can't find Exchange Server there, is it a standalone OS or just a service for server OS ?.
    Are you in Australia? Maybe it redirects based on your location.

Try this one: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx
    dynamik wrote:
    Are you in Australia?

nope. Anyway, is Exchange Server a standalone OS or an app runs on 2003/2008 Server ?
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Try this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb291020.aspx

Essentially Exchange Server is an app that you run on a exsisting server.

[Edited post for above sentance but Dynamik beat me to it, why doesnt that suprise me icon_wink.gif ]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    That's weird; it works for me. Just go to Technet and look at their subscriptions. The information is pretty easy to find.

Exchange installs as a server application inside of 2003/2008. Like IIS, Sharepoint, etc.
    astorrs wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I can't agree, as I read the following quote they are expecting you to have at least registered as a sole proprietorship (or whatever the local term is where you are) and therefore have established a business presence.
    Is my organization entitled to participate in the Partner Program?
    The Microsoft Partner Program is designed for businesses whose primary function is to sell, service, support, or build solutions on the Microsoft platform, or to provide solutions based on Microsoft products and technologies to independent, third-party customers.
    Nowhere in that statement does it say its open to individuals who provide (or have provided in the past) similar services on the side.

"The Microsoft Partner Program is designed for all partners who develop and market solutions based on Microsoft platforms, provide consulting or technical services for Microsoft systems, or recommend Microsoft technology purchases to customers.
    Microsoft partners include: consulting services providers, independent software vendors (ISVs), independent hardware vendors, large account resellers, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), support providers, system integrators, system builders, training providers, value-added resellers, and value-added providers."

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/40032506#how

I don't own my own business, and I've been a partner and MAPS subscriber for four years, and I have several friends who are, too. Not a single problem with doing that, never once has Microsoft questioned me or anything like that, nor any of my friends who are IT pros as well, who don't own their own business, etc. I was in fact told by Microsoft employees while I worked for Microsoft that I should get an Action Pack specifically for my situation of wanting to get my hands on products and use them in production, even though I did not have a business license or anything like that. They in fact do not require any verification whatsoever of a business license or anything of the sort.

The goal of MAPS and the partner program is to get more people familiar with Microsoft products, so Microsoft sells more software. They have absolutely no problems with IT pros looking to get their hands on Microsoft software to buy Action Pack subscriptions. They DO have problems with businesses who are not related to selling IT services and products buying action packs to avoid paying for licenses.
    Good luck to all!
    macwhizard wrote:
    I followed the links on the stickey, the trouble is i can't install MS Silverlight software on my OSX box icon_mad.gif .
    dynamik wrote:
    Silverlight = lame. Such as hassle. It actually seems like a solid product, but it's not supported well at all. Not like Flash is great on *nix either though...

Guess what, When i used FF3 on OSX, MS site would present me an .exe file, when i checked the same with Safari, Voila, it downloaded a .dmg file !!!. I haven't installed it yet, I wonder anyone else having trouble with FF3 on non-windows platform.

I guess either MS site having trouble recognizing the platform or FF3 reporting it is on Windows XP.
    Mmm, VMware Fusion...
    Good luck to all!