high paying jobs harder to find?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Anyone else noticing this? It seems all the high paying jobs have moved over to SQL/programming. I know a bunch of people with many cisco certs and or qualifications and the pay seems right around 60k starting, same thing with Windows stuff... Most of these would have been 80k+ 2 years ago.

These are all for enterprise class jobs too.

Any ideas where the high paying jobs are?

By high paying, I mean the ratio of pay to cost of living. Like 80k in seattle would be low IMO. Most basic homes cost 500k+. Our housing market for an average house is about 230k.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only have my particular situation and some anecdotal evidence to speak from, but I think if you have a few years of enterprise level experience doing sr. level work, the high paying jobs are still out there, and they will find you if you post your resume or advertise. The highest paying admin jobs that I've become privy to usually were not posted publicly on Monster, Dice, etc., though they may use those services to find you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You probably are not going to start out in a high paying job. Once you get a few years experience under your belt you can get the high paying jobs. The high paying jobs are there, but you have to have the experience to justify the pay, not simply education or certifications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah anyone making 80k+ with under 5 years experience is doing great. A junior network engineer (with ~3 years total IT experience) in Seattle starting at 60k seems fine to me.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Yeah anyone making 80k+ with under 5 years experience is doing great. A junior network engineer (with ~3 years total IT experience) in Seattle starting at 60k seems fine to me.

id be down for that salary! :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • ggcivicsiggcivicsi Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe it all still depends on location for the pay and what type of position you're going for.

I've had several jobs fluctuate from 60k to 75k within the last five years. It also depends on if its a contract job or semi permanant job.

I know it sucks to feel like you have to take a pay cut but hey...you have to keep yourself employed some how. icon_sad.gif

GL on your job search man.

*I'm actually trying to find a desert job* Have applied but no answer yet.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Oh sorry, I didn't mean for myself. I make good money. I just meant in general. I was browsing the local ads here and it seemed none were paying much over 65k.

Just kind of amazing how IT is getting to be such a hot thing now a days and the overall position per dollar have gone down.