Security Clearance

AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
anyone get one before? I just FINALLY finished the paperwork... took me three days.... soo much stuff i need to make phone calls for... How long until i know that im cleared??

Comments

• IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did mine when I went into the service. They sat us down in front of computers and said "Tell me when you're finished." I'm not sure how long it takes. I did mine almost 10 years ago..... wait.. whoa.. it just hit me.. that was nearly 10 years ago.. man.. Before they were a little slow with clearances.. I'm not sure how quick they are now.. It might take a month.. maybe 3 months.. Might take longer depending on what level you're getting. My clearance took a while due to the level that I needed access to.

I wouldn't worry about it. Well, unless you lied on some parts.. The main thing is not to lie.. just be honest.. if you do... they'll find out one way or the other..
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    i didnt lie nor would i ever.. did everything best to my knowledge... i had to use 17 different references... took me three days to gather and get everything done.. : / i wanna work already... : )
    Well, some people lie about smokin' ... well, smokin' things that aren't cigarettes.. The government could really care less as long as the person isn't still doing it.. They only look for the person being honest..

Wow.. 17 references? I think I gave 3.. or maybe it was 5...... I also didn't have to go back that far in my memory since I was only 18 at the time.. If I had to do it now...... Jeez.. that'd take me 3 days, too... Good luck to you and hope that you get your clearance quickly! I'm trying for a job as well.... I'm pretty nervous cause it deals with networking and I feel I'm not up to par for the technical interview..
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I have one. I'm givng it up in a couple of weeks. I'm getting read out and moving back to regular life. Its good to have, but the job I took pays more than my job with a clearance. Now the thing is that having a clearance puts you in a position to get jobs that other people can't give, so it basiclly gives u access to a larger job pool. But if you don't plan on living in VA/DC/MD/TX/CA its more of a nusiance.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I have had a Top Secret clearance for a long time, and in the D.C area it is almost a must have.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure I have a 'Secret' clearance... But no one really knows around here... Everyone just goes through the paperwork, gets interviewed, and is done.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No polygraph?what type of clearance are you going for?
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • slideoffslideoff Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone apply for a security clearance? If so, how do I get started?
    "Jeez louise, I can't wait to get my MCSE and quit this job." - Nick Burns
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I'd give it a couple of weeks then call the Security Officer (SO). Once you get your clearence remember to take care of it because in the end it will take care of you.

Congrats on the new job..... icon_thumright.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    Yes, it is true that if you have a clearance MOST jobs are in VA/DC/MD/CA/TX.. There are others scattered in other states: NY/AL/MS/FL/NV/NM/ID/WA and others... but there are also jobs overseas in other countries that you could try for as well.

Eventually, I will quit working with companies that require a clearance because I don't want to live in the VA/DC/MD area anymore. Cost of living there is pretty steep and the traffic is horrendous.. I worked at the Pentagon before with my TS/SCI.. I never had a poly though.. If you can get a poly, get it.. That makes you even more applicable for jobs that others can not get..
    im applying for a "secret" one.. the required someone to verify everywhere ive been and i moved alot around the city.. so i used a different one per move.. i wasnt sure if i could repeat. I also have a big family.. 7 people total.. the part that confused me the most was my employment.. i had to list 7 years of consecutive employed. i had ALOT unemployment.. lol
    slideoff wrote:

anyone can... but its not recommended unless you get sponsored by either where your gonna work or a staffing agency. I'm getting sponsored by a staffing agency...
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    slideoff wrote:

anyone can... but its not recommended unless you get sponsored by either where your gonna work or a staffing agency. I'm getting sponsored by a staffing agency...

If you trying to get a secret clearnace or higher to find a job, I don't think you will be able to afford to pay for the clearance...this is why people with clearnaces from the military or contracting companies are so marketable...don't have to pay for clearance and instant work.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Anybody cannot apply for a security clearance on their own. You need to be sponsored by an organization that is dealing with material that is marked classified either confiential, secret, or top secret. You also can't just have a clearance to have one, once you leave a job dealing with classifed materials, your clearance goes in inactive and then after a certain number of years, you lose it and would have to reapply again if you were to get another job requiring one. Good to know TX is good on clearances, I was actually thinking about moving there.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    It took me 3 months to get DoD cleared and the DHS guys are quoting me the same.
    pwjohnston wrote:
    It took me 3 months to get DoD cleared and the DHS guys are quoting me the same.

Mine too about 3 months as well. My SO said it was mostly because I was young, 10 yrs ago, i was in high school and I lived in the same state most of my life.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi IT Man

Is it worth it? I was applying for some job that require a clearance some low level public trust clearance in the MD, DC, VA area. I decided it is not for me because the guys that they subcontract you out really check out your background to the last detail. The pay was only $22 an hour which in not much in the VA area. I decided to tell my account manager to discontinue the process as I am still in the job hunt as I still have my unemployment benefits

The thing is is it really worth it. A lot of these higher paying jobs in this area are advertising for it in MD, DC VA. My background is in the private sector IT Network jobs in high tech, banking and computer system integration firms. Yes I can keep company confidentiality with my previous firms. And I hope people with security clearance think they are better than those without one. I need to concentrate my skill set in my background in Windows Server Administartion and Exchange server support as well advancing my Cisco routing and switching experience and knowledge and there are a lot of private sector companies inquire me about hiring. The things is come across is some of these jobs listings require you to be an expert in everything like Windows Server 2003/2008 Exchange server SMS Server or now System Center, Sharepoint, VMware. Veritas/Symantec backup, Dell, HP, IBM server expert, Firewalls in Checkpoint. Cisco routing OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Catalyst Switching Load balancing and the rest goes on with HTML Web design, Java programing Flash and list goes on.

I never met any one is and expert in everything that they list in the job description.
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Don_PA wrote:
    Hi IT Man

Is it worth it? I was applying for some job that require a clearance some low level public trust clearance in the MD, DC, VA area. I decided it is not for me because the guys that they subcontract you out really check out your background to the last detail. The pay was only $22 an hour which in not much in the VA area. I decided to tell my account manager to discontinue the process as I am still in the job hunt as I still have my unemployment benefits

The thing is is it really worth it. A lot of these higher paying jobs in this area are advertising for it in MD, DC VA. My background is in the private sector IT Network jobs in high tech, banking and computer system integration firms. Yes I can keep company confidentiality with my previous firms. And I hope people with security clearance think they are better than those without one. I need to concentrate my skill set in my background in Windows Server Administartion and Exchange server support as well advancing my Cisco routing and switching experience and knowledge and there are a lot of private sector companies inquire me about hiring. The things is come across is some of these jobs listings require you to be an expert in everything like Windows Server 2003/2008 Exchange server SMS Server or now System Center, Sharepoint, VMware. Veritas/Symantec backup, Dell, HP, IBM server expert, Firewalls in Checkpoint. Cisco routing OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Catalyst Switching Load balancing and the rest goes on with HTML Web design, Java programing Flash and list goes on.

I never met any one is and expert in everything that they list in the job description.

If someone is willing to sponsor your clearance, it is worth it! What is the problem? You just fill out some paperwork and let your references know that they might be contacted...

Unless you have something in your background that you do not want to be discovered, there really are no negatives.. and if you live in certain areas of the country, a security clearance can be your golden ticket to getting your foot in the door.
    I mean if it is about money, then you have other things to consider. I am originally from the DC area so I understand how the cost of living there is very high and $22/hr may not be much to live off of. I think if you plan to stay in the DC area, a clearance may not be a bad thing to have because it will make you very marketable and can open doors for you in the future. If money is a very important factor for you right now, then you have to do what you have to do and maybe right now, this position may not be the best for you clearance or not. Just look at it like you would look at any job, is it in the area you want to go into, do you think the position can help you grow in your career, etc. I am sure you'll make the right decision.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gotta remember though, as of right now not all clearances will cover you for every job. Military clearances don't automatically transfer to say the FBI. FBI clearances don't transfer to Secret Service or CIA. The President just signed an executive order stating that the clearance process get a standard that would allow it to transfer between any Federal agency. The issue at hand then is the agencies that don't require you get a polygraph compared to those that do. Having one is still a great thing because at the very least it shows you can get one and they generally don't have as much legwork to do depending on when it was done last. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    lets see... i posted this july 24... and i'm "suppose" to finally get it on monday... the 11th august 3 and a 1/2 weeks...
    the_Grinch wrote:
    Gotta remember though, as of right now not all clearances will cover you for every job. Military clearances don't automatically transfer to say the FBI. FBI clearances don't transfer to Secret Service or CIA. The President just signed an executive order stating that the clearance process get a standard that would allow it to transfer between any Federal agency. The issue at hand then is the agencies that don't require you get a polygraph compared to those that do. Having one is still a great thing because at the very least it shows you can get one and they generally don't have as much legwork to do depending on when it was done last. Good luck!

Do you have any references or links? This has not been true for prior servicemembers entring the Civilian workforce no matter who the agency is.

A TS is a TS, and a TS/SCI is a TS/SCI whereever you go. TS with poly is a TS with Poly where ever you go...same goes for a Secret Clearnace. These clearances are granted to the individual and once granted, you are cleared no matter where you go. Agencies and government contractors do still go through the investigation when hiring since things may have changed since getting the clearnace, but the clearance is still held unless taken away or expired...even inactive clearances are still good and don't take much to activate.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0708/070108rb1.htm

The White House is also requiring "reciprocal recognition" of background investigations and adjudications -- meaning that in most cases, if a contractor or federal employee received security clearance from one agency it would be applicable governmentwide.

Many federal agencies use their own security clearance standards and do not necessarily accept background checks performed by other executive branch agencies.

As pulled form the article everyone has different standards for their background checks. I know that if you stay within your agency your clearance will hold. Such as you got a clearance for being an Immigration Enforcement Agent, but now you are going to become a Customs and Border Patrol Officer. It seems the DOD says in most cases the security clearance would transfer so in that case I was wrong. I don't have any experience on the military side of clearance so I apologize for misspeaking.

https://www.dss.mil/GW/ShowBinary/DSS/psco/ps_faqs.html#15

WILL MY CLEARANCE TRANSFER TO OTHER FEDERAL AGENCIES?
    A: In most cases it will transfer. All federal agencies adjudicate using the 13 Adjudication Guidelines and reciprocal recognition of existing personnel security clearance adjudications throughout the national security community is strongly emphasized by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). OMB has issued guidance regarding reciprocity of access eligibility determinations to ensure that investigations are only conducted to grant new security clearances when they are actually required.

Though it says in most cases so I'd imagine there are times it won't. I'd assume that would be if you separated from the military for a certain period of time and then lost your clearance.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Background checks and security clearances are commonly used interchangably and that is wrong. Some agencies perform their own background checks and clear a person, but this isn't a standard clearance. Most agencies, contractors, and military provide personal with clearances through NACLC or SSBI to get TS or S. Unless it has changed, TS expires in 5 years, S in 10 years. If a person leaves the military, he will KEEP his clearance, but if it isn't being used, it will become inactive. Reactivating a clearance is less expensive, easier, and much faster than buying one for a new candidate.

Agencies try to save money by doing their own background checks and "clearing" their personnel, but this doesn't mean the person has a NACLC or SSBI clearance. This is why some of these "clearances" do not transfer. If anyone was trying to get a clearance when the war began, you should remember the long delays in getting even interim clearances. This was due to the additional military and civilians needing NACLC and SSBI Secret and Top Secret clearances. Agencies trying to get their employees security clearances was greatly affected since the military was priority due to the mission. Agencies doing their own background checks weren't affected...
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I have a 'Secret' clearance... But no one really knows around here... Everyone just goes through the paperwork, gets interviewed, and is done.

I found out I have this.

http://090.nihweb5.cit.nih.gov/hr/hrdata/policies/security2001.html
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:vWNKEQmpLt4J:www.archives.gov/isoo/oversight-groups/nisp/opm-suitability-primer.pdf+suitability+BI+clearance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&client=opera

Which is a Suitability clearance that required a BI (background investigation).

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this something that you should inform an agency that would need a security clearance?

I'm thinking about getting a copy of the investigation and putting it into my portfolio. I think that is probably the best plan.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Yeah...you could,b ut this isn't a standard security clearance. This looks like something all employees go through for civil service positions.
  • mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I was in the military, I was required to obtain and hold a TS/SSBI clearance for my job. I did not get a job requiring a clearance until last year ( 6 days shy of3 years since last used). My current job only requires a Secret clearance and the guy who was requesting to reactivate my clearance just asked that I get a downgrade to an active Secret. I didn't even have to fill out any paperwork. I guess it helped that in between those jobs, I had to have another extensive background check and and poly to work as an armored truck driver. :P
    mikka07 wrote:
    When I was in the military, I was required to obtain and hold a TS/SSBI clearance for my job. I did not get a job requiring a clearance until last year ( 6 days shy of3 years since last used). My current job only requires a Secret clearance and the guy who was requesting to reactivate my clearance just asked that I get a downgrade to an active Secret. I didn't even have to fill out any paperwork. I guess it helped that in between those jobs, I had to have another extensive background check and and poly to work as an armored truck driver. :P

Hmmm...that's interesting. Maybe you were coming up on the 5 year renewal for the TS, so they decided to just downgrade to Secret since it was cheaper and longer (10 years)...who knows. It's also interesting that you had to do a Poly for a Secret, but I am sure the Poly was for the company and I'm sure having it on record will be nice if you could get your TS renewed!!