Haircut Turn Off?

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
I currently have short hair (like most people who want to do something professional) but I bleached it blonde.

I like the look, but my facial hair and eyebrows are brown so obviously people know its not natural... do you think the first impressions at interviews will not be good?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    short and sweet and to the point: yes
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Loose the facial hair (or dye it too!), as long as the color/cut is tasteful I don't see most interviewers caring one way or another.

Then again I live in Vancouver, and some people I've worked with have blue, purple or pink streaks in their hair. :)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Generally the more professional you can look the more likely you'll be treated as a professional. Nicely groomed hair and well maintained facial hair can work. The facial hair will help you look older, though depending upon your body type it may come across as just a young guy trying to look older. But definitely make sure it is well groomed and the safe bet is always just to shave it off.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    Loose the facial hair (or dye it too!)

I'm not sure shaving off your eyebrows would be a better alternative icon_lol.gif
  • waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    dynamik wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

I'm not sure shaving off your eyebrows would be a better alternative icon_lol.gif

haha, i hear ya, thats not really good incentive.
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was a manager the hair wouldn't be a big deal if your dress and demeanor are professional, but I know some managers that can be tight a$$. Good luck on the job hunt.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Change it Eminem, that was so 7 years ago, unless you don't want to be taken seriously... in that case I recommend a neck tattoo and a nose piercing.

Personally, unless you're uptight about going gray, I don't think men have any business going anywhere near hair dye...Geesh... I don't get it, but to each their own I guess.
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Post a pic, it's kinda hard to judge without seeing what it looks like.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Which would you rather have, bleached hair or a job?
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • jayman47jayman47 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on what kind of a job you are looking for.It seems to me that many of the Unix/Linux geeks have long hair.Modern day hippies.The rest of us are short,sharp and to the point.I myself cut my hair to a lenght of 3millimeters.This is more comfortable when working out or if my serverroom is to hot.My ex-girlfriend wonder why i am not as "well cut" on the rest of my body.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you would have much better chance of being hired with your natural hair color. First impressions are very important when interviewing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Wow, I'm kind of amazed at the responses here. I guess dyed hair isn't as big a deal here in the Pacific NW as it is elsewhere... icon_confused.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's common here as well. It's just that the people who have it work at coffee shops, not in professional environments.
    Are they IT support for the coffee shop icon_lol.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    had the same 'doo' as you when I was 18. I didnt get too far icon_lol.gif Most corporate environments wont appreciate it, but in the end its your hair. If you are asking for an opinion, I say dye it back as close as you can to your original hair color
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Some good responses here...

Any personal experiences with this?

I might go back to light brown if I wind up getting some calls, you guys are freaking me out icon_lol.gif

No experiences with it myself as I wouldn't risk it. My career is a lot more important to me than my hair style.
  • ggcivicsiggcivicsi Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just do what I do...shave it all off! :D
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ggcivicsi wrote:

Same here.

When I was younger I did the same as you though. The only difference was that I would wait until I had a job and once I had the job I would bleach it.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    No experiences with it myself as I wouldn't risk it. My career is a lot more important to me than my hair style.

This is not for a Career job. This would be for a college entry level job. I'm twenty years old :)

Again thanks everyone for their input.

ggcivicsi wrote:

Same here.

When I was younger I did the same as you though. The only difference was that I would wait until I had a job and once I had the job I would bleach it.

Once I get the job bleach it! Brilliant!!! icon_wink.gif

Every job is a stepping stone in your career and should be treated as such in m opinion.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    dynamik wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

It sure would look hilarious though.... at least you would have given the interviewers a good laugh icon_lol.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    Okay maybe i'm missing the point here, are we talking "white" hairor very light blonde... depending on "how" you bleach it (i.e. a professional) it doesn't have to be crazy... (says the natural blonde)
    astorrs wrote:
    Okay maybe i'm missing the point here, are we talking "white" hairor very light blonde... depending on "how" you bleach it (i.e. a professional) it doesn't have to be crazy... (says the natural blonde)

Even having it done somewhere professionally does not mean it will come out white. I have bleach my hair many times and since it is so dark it will never get to the white or natural blonde state. My hair will start falling apart before that happens. It all depends on the hair. Mine usually has at least some yellow/brassiness to it.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Yet this looks unprofessional? How, as long as it could pass for natural I still don't see how they would really care...
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    jayman47 wrote:
    I myself cut my hair to a lenght of 3millimeters.This is more comfortable when working out or if my serverroom is to hot.

+1 for comfort and ease of caring

-1 for unnatural color

If it is your first job, then you want to look sharp and professional. Bleach won't help, imho. Unless the hiring manager has bleached his hair also. Then you can talk about bleaching methods, best hair stylists and such.
    astorrs wrote:
    Yet this looks unprofessional? How, as long as it could pass for natural I still don't see how they would really care...

Honestly I liked the look of it, but was told it was not professional by others. Was also told it was really bright. Here are some pics of what it looked like.

With gel
    hairgel.jpg

With no gel
    hairnogel.jpg
    I guess it depends on the industry...

13410091eq1.png

Usually dyed much blonder than in the pic. He's an IT Director with a staff of about 40 responsible for AD/Messaging, Security, Voice, and Networking for a company with an IT staff of over 500.

I still say if its tasteful its not going to be that big of a deal (unless your looking at working for a company in finance or for lawyers - those guys still think its the 1950's).
  • jayman47jayman47 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If someone said that i could not have the hairstyle i had i wouldn't work there anyway.It is the thing under the hair and between your ears that should matter.