from AP to LWAP

I will need to convert a few 1200's from AP to LWAP so the controller can manage them. It's my understanding that a 4400 series will not manage AP's with full IOS on them.

I have found the cisco doc explaining teh conversion process but want to see if anyone out here has climbed this ladder and might want to share any gotcha's them came across?

tia
just trying to keep it all in perspective!

Comments

• redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I've only gone the opposite direction, converting LWAP to autonomous AP's. In that case, all that was required was installing a 12.3(7) IOS version or earlier. Let us know how it goes.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You might try asking in our Cisco forums too.
  • netdudenetdude Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you ever upgrade your ap's
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    redwarrior wrote:
    I've only gone the opposite direction, converting LWAP to autonomous AP's. In that case, all that was required was installing a 12.3(7) IOS version or earlier. Let us know how it goes.

Cisco says it doesn't work that way and you can only go from autonomous to LW... Unless they started as autonomous.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    Even though Cisco says it I would tend to disagree...It seems to be dependent on which IOS you use only, not the hardware.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've converted a couple LAP1242G APs from lightweight to autonomous mode without any problems. They're still recognised as a LAP1242G instead of a AP1242G but it works fine still.

What I did was to hold down the button, plug in the power whilst leaving the ethernet unplugged. It'll boot into its ROM monitor prompt. Plug in ethernet. Run the init commands to enable ethernet and then enable TFTP. Then I just downloaded the latest IOS image from my TFTP server.
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just did this today actually with an 1100 on a 4402 controller. You will have to login to Cisco's website to download what you need. After logging in, go here :

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=278875243

and select your model under access points.

I used the LWAP update utility they offered in this section. It is a TFTP app you run on your pc.

For this app, you will have to create a txt file that has the ip as well as username, password, and enable password in this format (called ip file):

ip,username,pasword,enablepassword

you will then specify your computer or servers ip that hosts the update file as the TFTP server. Next you need to specify the username and password of your wireless controller.

Before applying this update, please read the release notes for it as you may need your AP to be at a certain IOS release before it can be properly applied. Hope this helps!