Options

A+, what's the best way to get certified. Help!

william1971william1971 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have no IT or Hardware experience but I want to get A+ certified so I can break into the IT industry. I've looked into tech schools in my area but there all very expensive, and none of them will provide me financial aid. Are there any alternatives or other avenues I can take to become A+ certified or is a tech school my only option? Some people have mentioned just buy a book, but I think I might need more due to lack of experience with hardware.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    buy a few different books, check out the technotes on this site, find an old computer to open up and play around with, maybe check out community colleges in your area that offer A+ classes

if you are dedicated to breaking into IT self study should serve you just fine
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want structured classroom training the best way to do that (IMO) is to go to a community college instead of a tech school. The most popular way to get certified is by self study though. So really all you need is a good book (2 would be better though) and some old computer hardware to play around with. Check out this link from amazon.com for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Certification-All-One-Guide-Sixth/dp/0072263113/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216994997&sr=8-2
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    sthomas wrote:
    If you want structured classroom training the best way to do that (IMO) is to go to a community college instead of a tech school. The most popular way to get certified is by self study though. So really all you need is a good book (2 would be better though) and some old computer hardware to play around with. Check out this link from amazon.com for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Certification-All-One-Guide-Sixth/dp/0072263113/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216994997&sr=8-2

Great advice. Many community colleges have A+ classes at a fraction of the price of a tech school or boot camp. Self-study is the probably the most popular method and a great option for A+.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Head to Barnes and Noble or get a book online about A+. If you have an old computer around, that might help you in understanding and being able to visualize what you're attempting to do. I don't think you need to go to a tech school or anything like that. You should be able to self-study for this cert.
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    perosperos Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All you need is a few books, the forums and an old computer to play with. Ask any questions you have in one area and get them answered before you move on. Take it from me....no IT experience, no hands on experience and needed help with opening an email attachment. I have asked a lot of questions and felt very stupid when I have had to ask the same question about 15 times. Just keep with it. I am really close to being able to sit for the exams (has taken me long enough... about 6 months) and I am loving all of the new stuff that I learn every time I pick up my books.
    Get the exam objectives from CompTIA and have them in hand when you go through your book. It helps to keep you on track for what you need to know and what the book thinks you need to know. I also recommend that you check out podcast from the itunes site. I found an educational podcast from Harvard University that was nothing but lectures, notes and tests from their computer science department. Not too bad to listen to and it gives you another method of storing information if you have a long commute and can not read.
    Best of luck and remember that the only one who keeps you from your goals is you. crash.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I have no IT or Hardware experience but I want to get A+ certified so I can break into the IT industry. I've looked into tech schools in my area but there all very expensive, and none of them will provide me financial aid. Are there any alternatives or other avenues I can take to become A+ certified or is a tech school my only option? Some people have mentioned just buy a book, but I think I might need more due to lack of experience with hardware.

Get some experience.

You may need to do a bit of work to prove yourself worthy of a 'chance' but that typically comes down to basic good employee skills and not so much 'knowledge'. You may need to volunteer or shadow if it important enough for you to get in the door and work this career path.

Otherwise, go to college and get a CS degree of something to make yourself more valuable in the field. What is it you want to do in IT? Why do you think you need an A+? There are several different aspects to 'IT"....not just hardware what is your interest long term?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    bill8228bill8228 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I spent nearly 5 years "trying" to break into the IT field. I had 30 plus interviews, some good and most bad. I, like you had zero anything, but I was determined. Every interview came down to some kind of experience. SOMETHING!
    I had nothing. Yea I fixed my moms machine once or helped a neighbor print, but it all came down to getting my one "lucky" break.
    Dont by a book or two, buy a bunch on windows server, exchange and office. Those are the 3 most looked for in administration. Get yourself four or five computers, a KVM to save on monitors, install eval copies of all 3 and work with them.
    Make two machines servers and the others xppro. Monkey around with Group Policy. Deny your "fake users" in Active Directory access to fake files.
    Trust me, creat your nown "virtual" network and see what you can learn.
    I did all the above plus Linux, Novell, MySql, Java, HTML, Solaris and some Symantec to name a few.
    The Comptia tests are pointless. They test you on irrelevant subjects. Who cares what IRQ is used by what!! Go fix a printer that keeps on printing the same print job over and over! I passed the Cisco CCNA and thought I would be hired walking out the door. NOPE. The exams are a scam in my opinion and give you nothing more than a piece of paper to show a potential employer...
    I have now been a network admin for nearly 3 years and the education of being on the job far outweighs any book I ever opened. BUT, If not for my self study and perseverance, I would be sitting on a roof!!!

I hope this helps.

Bill icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    xtimmyxtimmy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably not the most popular option but joining the military or reserves could be an option. I served 6 years in the Navy as an ET I worked on communication equipment and anything really electronic, even computers, printers, LANs, etc... It's a great way to get free training, and on the job training while getting paid. I seperated a year and a half ago got my A+ a year ago, and Saturday passed my Network+ exam. Experience is definatley a plus if you plan to self study, but not a requirment, I've found this website and other sites like this one to be very helpfull in preparing for the exam, so you are definatley on the right track.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cogrick2cogrick2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bill's comment is an interesting one based on experience,

but a jobsearch will reveal that there are employers who prefer or require A+ certification. Try indeed.com.
    Learning what certifications to earn in pursuit of being a project manager.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Sorry, but you want to gain a credential but not invest much into it? icon_rolleyes.gif

If you earn a college degree you will likely find you fair more desirable as an employee. Why do you think you need financial aid? Are you unable to work currently? Why not save up and pay as you go? There are many facets to IT, so the thing is you need to decide what you want to do 'when you grow up".

Best way to 'break into IT'....get a job. It is possible, and it is doable despite what some people say. Getting the A+ before the job can be done, but still requires investing in books or old hardware to build your lab. Without some experience, holding a certificate or even a diploma doesn't mean a person will be a good candidate for a job.

Why not start your own business? Do the work you know and partner (contract the work, never partnership) the work you are not experienced in.

If by chance you're 37-38 (guessing by your handle) and just now deciding you want to 'try' IT, then go back to school and obtian a CS degree or something that will yield you more return on your investment. IT is flooded with talent. Many good people, and many who think they are good and just not worth an employers investment. Find some skillset that sets you apart from the others, it may not be the A+, but it may be if you only wish to handle benchwork.

What has interested you in IT so far?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?