CCNA:S + SNRS lab...

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
Within the next 6 months I'm hoping to do CCNA:S and SNRS, and then in 6 more months do ASA Fundamentals and ASA Advanced.

My question is...Do you guys like the 3640 128/32 (max) for CCNA:S and SNRS? It runs IOS IPS, runs SDM. I don't see any difficulties in setting up a lab with a pair of 3640's and an ASA 5510.

Can anyone think of a better option for the money? Does the 3640 have any voids for CCSP and eventually CCNP that TE's know that I dont?

Thanks,
NL

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GNS3 (Dynamips/Dynagen for the routers and PEMU for the PIX emulation). But you need Images for both and activation keys/serials for the PIX.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah I'm not worried about PIX, I will just buy an ASA. I actually am pretty proficiant with dynamips but the SDM seems to run poorly and I think I'd rather pick up some real hardware.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Is the 2610 XM 128D/32F considered to be better than the 3640 128D/32F? The 3640's actually seem a bit cheaper.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2610xm is going to have FE built in but the 3640 you will need to buy a network module for it if it does not come with one. 32MB of flash will not be enough if you intend to put the SDM files on the router (the IOS is 28-31 MB anymore). The 2610xm can go to 48 MB of flash so it may be the better option if you're not concerned about the speed of the CPU.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    You can use qemu to emulate a ASA
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    32MB of flash will not be enough if you intend to put the SDM files on the router (the IOS is 28-31 MB anymore).

I never understood the point of that when you could just have the SDM installed on the computer you are using instead of the router.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    dtlokee wrote:
    32MB of flash will not be enough if you intend to put the SDM files on the router (the IOS is 28-31 MB anymore).

I never understood the point of that when you could just have the SDM installed on the computer you are using instead of the router.

scheistermeister,

What if your computer goes down?
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    dtlokee wrote:

scheistermeister,

What if your computer goes down?

If your computer goes down then what work will you be doing through SDM anyway (whether local to the router or the PC)?

For lab work it's a non-issue in my opinion.
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    I took the CCNA: Security today (passed it barely, but I passed it!) and I used GNS3 a LOT in my preparation for it. I think it's really the best way to get ready as you need to be familiar wtih VPN setups and technologies and you can simulate this with GNS3.

If you are having performance issues with GNS3, try tweaking the idle-pc values (right click on the router and select the idle-pc option). I had the same issue where it was eating 100% of my CPU constantly. As soon as I did this, my CPU usage dropped to nothing, even with 3 routers and a cloud connection emulated.\

If you do decide to go the hardware route, bear in mind that SDM will only work with IOS 12.2 and newer, and some features will not be available until you go up to 12.4. So make sure what you're buying has this image or you can grab one from somewhere.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:

You can do it either way, I like to install it on the router because I use different systems at different times (sometimes Virtual Machines). It's a matter of personal choice.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    I've got several ISRs in the field, and having it installed on the router is the only way to fly if you've got a large mult-location environment. You never know where you might be when one goes down!