Wild Packets

Has anyone ever used Wild Packets analyzers or anything from them? Was looking at them for a packet shaper, one that can handle more users than the Packeteer (512)...

Comments

• xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have demo'd wild packet's airopeek and etherpeek nx. Etherpeek nx has an expert analysis mode which gets good reviews.

Wild packet products don't offer bandwidth management such as packetshaper. I did a search on bandwidth management appliances and quite a few brands/companies came up. Give that a try.

I can't be of much further help, since I'm new to packetshaping in general.

Garv221 - thanks for the introduction. good stuff.

-Xevious
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Well, we've got Ether Peek NX. It is the best packet analyzer I'v ever seen. It helped track down virus broadcasts on our domain. Sr. Network Engineer Loves it. Now to scheme on getting a shirt. :D
  • xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    Now to scheme on getting a shirt. :D
    I love scheming for vendor shirts too. If it's a large org, like an ISP, I also try to get event tickets to whatever they have to offer, especially if there's a luxury suite/box involved. Server vendors are always good for free PDAs. Learned a long time ago, doesn't hurt to ask AND vendors hook up clients all the time.

Interested to know, what did you do to capture the virus broadcasts - purely from a high-level perspective...

Did you simply plug into available port on the switch/vlan, fire up NX, and listen? was port mirroring involved? Thanks.

-Xevious
    To capture the broadcasts we just ran the program on a laptop connected into the VLAN. No configuration, just click "capture". VERY basic. Its too easy, it just showed me the IPs that were spewing broadcasts & I nbtsat -a them and then removed the virus from that pc with Norton Corp.edition. Very Simple, with a click of a button it was over. It’s alot better than sniffer. I really want a shirt from them, there logo is really cool- a tornado with 1&0's in it. :D Are you looking for an analyzer?