Options

VMWare ESXi for free!

TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
Not sure if you guys are aware of this. I only found out because I went to the VMWare forum here in Atlanta last week. Starting today VMWare ESXi is now free.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow! I guess they're planning on making their money off of Virtual Center and licensing for other features like Vmotion.

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/login.php?eval=esxi&t=1
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SCHWEET! A new toy to play with!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Wow! I guess they're planning on making their money off of Virtual Center and licensing for other features like Vmotion.

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/login.php?eval=esxi&t=1

Yep this doesn't give you much in the way of management tools. It's that functionality like vmotion, vstorage, HA, etc that you will be paying for. But for anyone like those of us making a lab just wanting to throw some vm's on a box with a true bare metal hypervisor this is great! And... it's a thumb in the eye to Microsoft.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SCHWEET! A new toy to play with!

Keep in mind that it still does have the rigid HW requirements of ESX. It's not nearly as flexible as Server or Workstation.
    Technowiz wrote:
    Yep this doesn't give you much in the way of management tools. It's that functionality like vmotion, vstorage, HA, etc that you will be paying for. But for anyone like those of us making a lab just wanting to throw some vm's on a box with a true bare metal hypervisor this is great! And... it's a thumb in the eye to Microsoft.

Actually, I think it's more in response to MS's Hyper-V. ESX is clearly a superior product, but Hyper-V is free and does what it's supposed to.

I'm going to stick with the trial of the installable ESX myself. It gives you 60 days with EVERYTHING enabled, so you can practice Vmotion, DRS, etc. Virtual Center is also good for 60 days. I'd rather have full functionality with the downside of having to reinstall six times a year.
  • Options
    Yeah free if you don't count the cost of a Server 2008 license. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is perfect timing because I'm trying to push virtualization where I work and they just bought a new server that we were going to run vmware server on as they weren't ready to fork out the money for ESX.