Options

Convert file extention

mitchellislearningmitchellislearning Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi all a frnd of mine sent me .jpg file that i need to be a .exe (he renamed it so it could be emailed) ive renamed it plenty of times. info on doing this on XP/Vista/Win2k is needed. any os will work.
The thread itself is weak, its the weave that makes cloth strong.

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the time simply renaming extensions is not enough to trick an email app from stripping the contents of the attachment. Why not just zip/unzip the file?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You probably need to go into folder options and turn on show file extensions for known types (or whatever it's called). I assume that you can't rename it because you can't see the extension. Is that right?

Edit: Sometimes the zip trick doesn't work either because the filter will look through the contents of the archive. I haven't tried password protecting it though. I'm not sure if the filter would just allow it or filter it because it can't access it. I suppose it depends how it was configured...
  • Options
    never mind i forgot about the "hide ext for known file types" i got it now sorry
  • Options
    hey dyna i didnt see ur post till after i figured it out. i never refreshed the page either i just hit reply. i thank you for ur quick response