Why do you get certified ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
A lot of people getting certified here and there .. but why ...

Just wondering what the intentions of everybody is :)

in my case ? Well I never NEEDED them .. I always got the jobs I wanted without certs .. experience mostly counted more (and probably sometimes the name of my previous employer too).

But now its a different story .. our director gives us a very nice bonus plus for an exam and a very nice raise when we have a MCITP (or in my case VCP) certification ..

Obviously the company also has a bonus for getting the partnership easier .. so I don't mind really .. But NEED ? Nope :)
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's entertaining.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Learning experience.

I know people with tons of experience in networking that couldn't pass a CCNA exam. That works both ways, though! There are people that have tons of certs that can't do anything in real-world situations.

For me, it's a learning experience and a way to keep pushing myself to become a better IT professional for that day when I'm able to start my own business.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My first certification the A+ was required for a job I was hired for. The other certifications are so that I may look more appealing to employers and move higher up the food chain with my next job.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    to keep current with technology, knowledge, better chance of getting a job, certify your knowledge, passion, competition, blablabla
  • bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my case it make me feel good that I accomplished something. Also, by studying for certification you actually learn more since you have a goal to meet instead of reading random articles, tutorials or what not.

Lucky for you that you can could get a job with no certification but that's not the case for a lot of people here. Certifications are a good way of showing an potential employer that you are willing to do the work if you have no experience.
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    All my life, everyone I've known has always said I was completely certifiable.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very good points actually :)

Keep it coming ... :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    in the military we had to start getting them. With my new job I will be getting soon, it wouldn't have been possible for me to get without a cert, since they were a cisco partner.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Honestly the biggest reason for me is for the fact that it makes me more marketable.

more certs = more money

The above equation may not be true for your current job, but somebody will give you a raise for getting certs and that will probably be your next boss.

Something also nice about certs is that it gives you an obtainable goal for your studies. I know if there wasn't the JNCIP-M test out there then I would have never studied as much or as hard as I did to pass the test if it wasn't there. I believe that it takes more then certs to make an IT professional but I do believe that certs are a necessary evil.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I picked up A+ just so I could snag a job at Geek Squad years back, and then just sorta kept going.

I like learning this stuff, it's interesting. The certs let me know when it's time to move to the next subject.
    -Daniel
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Too much free time, then for job and skills... and now is for the career path.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    to keep learning and stay up to date on technology...and the main reason is because of how big of a geek I am. icon_study.gificon_scratch.gificon_study.gificon_thumright.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    For chicks. I use certs to get the babes. icon_rabbit.gif
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Certification as milestones for progress. That's how I see it.

Fun, nevertheless. And lucrative in the long run ;)
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I'll admit that I'm a geek and I love technology. Certifications are a way for me to learn about things that interest me and will hopefully lead to a job where I'll be doing what I like.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certifications provide a nice structured way of learning about new technologies, best practices, etc. I prefer this method rather than picking up a non-certification related book. The exercises also found in these books also help reinforce the material.

Plus it is a nice tangible reward for learning all this stuff :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get certified to increase my marketability. The reason I study is completely different.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    Regardless of the number of years of experience you have, its the certs listed on the resume that often get you the interview. It appears that more companies are screening resumes for certs to narrow down the candidates to interview. While its true that its up to you to be able to keep and perform the job, its often the certs that allow you the opportunity. Its not unusual for companies to perform an electronic scan of the resumes for keywords, MCSA, MCSE etc. It helps to screen out the hundreds (or more) resumes they receive.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    vsmith3rd wrote:
    I get certified to increase my marketability. The reason I study is completely different.

+1
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Wall Decorations...
  • downloaddandownloaddan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I can be a Certified Geek
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    To validate experience and learn something new along the way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The enjoyment of studying process, and the thrill of learning something new. The bump to salary doesn't hurt either. icon_lol.gif
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    +1 to all the above replies, especially the chicks! Ya right, my gf rolls her eyes at me every time I start talking about (as she says) "EEEEEEEeeeelectroooonics!!!!". Then she snorts and pushes up her imaginary glasses.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    +1 to all the above replies, especially the chicks! Ya right, my gf rolls her eyes at me every time I start talking about (as she says) "EEEEEEEeeeelectroooonics!!!!". Then she snorts and pushes up her imaginary glasses.

She's been watching a bit too much anime with too many bishounens with glasses eh? :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230

She's just jealous. :D
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    undomiel wrote:

She's been watching a bit too much anime with too many bishounens with glasses eh? :)

No why, is there a character on tv that does something like that? Please link!!!!
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    It's all about the benjamins.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    To learn and get paid.
    Good luck to all!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    To learn and get paid.

+1

ali-g-respect.gif

why not better your chances at making more money AND learning new things at the same time?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security