Options

Lab environment question

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am going to be building my new PC soon (Quad-core, 4 Gig ram etc..) and I want to set up my virtual lab.

I was thinking of putting VMWare Server on Vista Ultimate and running my VM's (all in 64 bit mode)

Has anyone used VMWare server with Vista Ultimate 64 and does it work? If not what is the best solution?

It will consist of Windows Server 2003, and a few XP machines..

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would buy VMware Workstation, it's a superior product for this kind of thing (in my opinion) and works great on 64-bit Vista.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think VMware Server is supported on client OSes, but I think you can get it to run. Linux would probably be a better option.

+1 for Workstation on Vista 64; that's what I use.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I don't think VMware Server is supported on client OSes, but I think you can get it to run. Linux would probably be a better option.

+1 for Workstation on Vista 64; that's what I use.

OK great- appreciate the info guys.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Haven't tried it on Vista, but VMware Server runs fine on XP, so go ahead and try it.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I love VMWare Workstation! I have a copy for both Linux and windows and I highly recommend it for either.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    How does VMware compare to Virtual PC, I am going to be looking for a cheap, or free solution to start trying a lot of new services, and servers. I hear Virtual PC is not *nix friendly
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Two things: I use VMWare Server on Vista Business and it works fine. Also, I like Virtual PC 2007 and it even installed Ubuntu, but VMWare Server was much easier.