Working a second job

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So do any of you guys work a second job? I'm going to be working full-time doing a desktop support/Vista migration and was thinking of taking a second job. Only thing I could think of that I could do at night would be to go back to a part-time retail PC tech job or something. Would any of you suggest staying in something IT related or maybe trying something else since it's just a regular part-timer to save up some cash?

Comments

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I'd suggest doing something related to the IT field, the more exp you have in IT the better it will be for you. Only thing that sucks about getting a second job would be the lack of time to study for certs, but unfortunately the table has to have food on it and so you gotta do what you gotta do.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll probably end up doing some other work, in addition to my current part-time IT gig and school, once the bills begin to pile up. Honestly, I may think about doing something different from IT, as a change of pace, or as a chance to see some new faces. If you're interested in changing gears within IT, though, like getting away from the desktop support and getting into systems administration or networking, then going for a (different) IT job might be your best bet.

As for where I'd actually want to work that second job? I'm in the Berkeley area, and there's a little coffee shop on Telegraph Ave. that stays open late and is ALWAYS looking for extra help. Let's just say that I wouldn't mind brewing some Kona Blend and chatting up customers of the female persuasion that frequent that place. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    slowhand u pimp icon_cool.gif
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm looking for a second PT job. I work full-time as of right now (& a full time student again as of Sept.). I'm just going to start doing computer repair on the side. :D
  • unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bartend as a second job to IT. I feel that the totally different industry helps me keep my sanity, plus i get to interact with other human beings.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • downloaddandownloaddan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i was thinking of doing one as well
    I could take anything but the same prob would be lack of time to practice certs!
    moss12 wrote:
    slowhand u pimp icon_cool.gif
    Heh, heh. . . nah, I'm just going the road-less-travelled and using my IT experience to get girls. After all, if you can handle the pressure of servers crashing, users screaming, and enterprise clients threatening to sue you over slow VPN connections, asking that redhead with the killer smile for her phone number doesn't seem quite so nerve-racking anymore. icon_lol.gif

I bartend as a second job to IT. I feel that the totally different industry helps me keep my sanity, plus i get to interact with other human beings.
    I hear that. It's nice to pull yourself out of the IT-world for a little bit to remember that there are people out there that aren't just there to yell at you about misbehaving computers or are out to steal your job. Weird, huh? :D

• vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm seriously looking for a second gig too, but IT is the last place I'd want to look. My primary occupation is very rewarding, in a tightly focused way. I think meeting people from other walks of life would be cool. Besides, there's enough stress at my primary, that I don't want more of that type at a secondary.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • downloaddandownloaddan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Second Job
    Mc Donnalds FTW

:D
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    If I could get 2 jobs both salary in IT I still wouldn't do it. Why not just work one good IT job?

Work smarter not harder. :D
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does being a father count as a second job?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    skeet2331 wrote:
    \

It should. I spend all my "free" time with my kids, so no time for a real second job. It's my wife's only job (unless you count school) and I'd hate to see what happens to the person who tries to tell her it doesn't count as a job icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skeet2331 wrote:
    \

It should. I spend all my "free" time with my kids, so no time for a real second job. It's my wife's only job (unless you count school) and I'd hate to see what happens to the person who tries to tell her it doesn't count as a job icon_lol.gif

Looks like we are in the exact same boat.
  • Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say find a second job where you don't really have to work - like being a parking attendant who sites in a booth all night - then you can study for certs while you work!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's my wife's only job (unless you count school) and I'd hate to see what happens to the person who tries to tell her it doesn't count as a job icon_lol.gif

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/12/opinion/main1616324.shtml

And that's two+ years old.