SQL Server Business Intelligence-Imp & Maint, 70-445...

savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've decided to go the path of SQL 2005 Business Intelligence for my continued training.
Got a question for you guys. I need to "activate/install" IIS on my home pc that runs Vista.

This is needed for Reporting Services. I found the location to activate this component, and IIS has numerous sub-items under it. I clicked on the top level node to install it. It sat and was doing something for about 20 to 30 minutes, then came up with an error message indicating an error occurred.

Any gurus out there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can't say I know.

But you might want to install Windows XP/2003 in a VM and run your SQL stuff from there.

Good luck and let us know the solution.
    -Daniel
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    MS actually recommends running an XP install on Virtual PC for items like this you cant get running on Vista. WHAT A FIX!
  • savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FYI... got my pc back from the HP repair facility, so I was working with a completely "clean" system.

First off, I activated IIS and did note that I had to go back and drill down through the tree views in IIS to check off all items.

Went back to SS install and it was completely successful.

Note, I am on a Vista machine... The first exercise in Chapter 2, says to type "http://localhost/Reports", to bring you to the Report Manager Web interface. It comes up with a user code/password dialog box, but no instructions on what to enter for either.

Poking around a bit, I used the server name, which was the default and was a long string of about 12 to 15 alphas and numerics(not sure why) followed by backslash(\) and "Administrator".
    It still needed a password?

Anyone???? Thanks.
  • savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finally got a clean are refreshed operating system, a few weeks ago.
    Activate IIs, re-installed SQL 2005 and components.
    Able to get to localhost web page, but needed to "run as administrator". Got all exercises in the text to work. In some instances, I needed to run BIDS and/or SSMS "as administrator", not 100% sure why.