(PW0-100) Need help with topic

ciscomciscom Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello there!

Im practicing with some virtual tests. And this question isn't clear for me:

When using 802.3af-compliant Power-over-ethernet switches at the network edge, what situation has the potential to adversely affect the proper operation of your 802.3af-compliant access points?

The correct answer:

A) large number of 802.3af-compliant VoIP phones are attached to the same Ethernet switch.

Im using Sybex Guide and the "Official" Guide (not the last Edition), to search for an explanation. But haven't found anything yet.

I mean, if I have compliant devices, how IP Phones can affect the AP? Throughput maybe?

I also searched in wikipedia and reviewed the 802.3af but didn't found a relation to this topic.

Does anyone can recommend another source?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I were to guess, I would say they went with that answer because a switch may or may not be able to supply enough power for all ports. Some will only be able to provide power for half the ports, for example. Obviously, an AP wouldn't be able to function properly if it had insufficient power.

It seems like they didn't give you enough information, so I'd just write that off as a bad question. Unfortunately, the real exam is going to have some ambiguous questions like that as well (I just passed this exam a few hours ago).
  • ciscomciscom Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's what I think, but the thing is that i haven't found info of this specific troubleshooting question, as a matter of fact, there are other question regarding the same thing 802.3af compliant phones, AP an Network Edge Switches...It seems that there is some kind of 'incompatibility' or not recommended configuration for this scenario?

Anyways what you said ( Some will only be able to provide power for half the ports, for example. Obviously, an AP wouldn't be able to function properly if it had insufficient power. ) makes sense, I definitely will research a little bit more.

BTW CONGRATS!!! I will take it in 1 1/2 week.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    What's the name of the virtual tests that you are using?
    sorry I forgot to mention, P.a.s.s.4.S.u.r.e.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You'll want to ditch those as they are braindumps and go get some non-cheating practice exams. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    And please don't work around the site's censoring mechanisms; they're there for a reason.
    Did you notice that when you previewed your post the name of that virtual test turned a bunch of xxxxxxxxxx's? That means the "test" that you mentioned is a **** product claiming to have the actual exam questions. Many people find such "braindumps" on the Internet and don't understand that it is **** material. The Web sites and marketing for braindumps look very polished and it's easy not to realize what it is. You can use www.certguard.com to check if a Web site is possibly a braindump vendor.

The use of **** products are not allowed by certification exam vendors or the owner and moderators of TechExams.net. And, frankly, cheating is unethical. Admitting on a public Internet forum that you use **** material for cert exams will only hurt you in the long run. And many braindump vendors are in counties like China, Turkey, and Pakistan, so your credit card number will end up in those places too. It's a loose-loose situation all the way around.

My advice is to be aware of **** materials and stay away from it. Instead, only use the books and study guides from reputable publishers and test preparation companies (Train Signal, PrepLogic, Trancender, MeasureUp, etc.). Discussing or soliciting the use of braindump materials will also get you banned form TechExams.net as well.
    UFF!

I never thought i would open a can of worms. Don't worry guys Im not using this to ****. Actually is the first time I try these. Im also using preplogic and transcenders. The only thing that called my attention was the 802.3af matter, because i haven't found a clear explanation, so I could study it more.

I've been studying for this exam for 5 months, and not to pass the exam only, but to get a better understanding of wireless lans. I also bought my study gear.
    (AP, RAdios, Antennas, and also switches, phones...u name it) Im also aware of this "braindumps". And also hate cheaters too. I know how they affect negatively the reputation of getting certified.
    In addition If I offended you guys, sorry, it wasn't my intention here.

As before I was trying to get help for the topic before mentioned. I wasn't asking to help me "****" for the exam.

BTW, Thanks a lot for your commnents...

also deleted that ****. : )~
    ciscom wrote:
    In addition If I offended you guys, sorry, it wasn't my intention here.

As before I was trying to get help for the topic before mentioned. I wasn't asking to help me "****" for the exam.

BTW, Thanks a lot for your commnents...

also deleted that ****. : )~
    No problem and glad you made the right decisions. :D Most people don't know what that stuff is when they first pick it up. I'm also glad that we were able to inform you early before you actually tried to rely on any **** as actually being accurate. Most of the time **** information is wrong, and the people who make posts (on other Web sites) saying how much a particular dumped helped them are just trying to sell **** material themselves using spam posts. It's just bad news all the way around.
    I really appreciate your opinions in this matter. I will stick to my current schedule.

When I take the exam in one week I will let you know how well it went.

PD When i saw the xxxxxxxx's in my earlier post I thought it was because the string P"a.s.s". LOL

Just like Dansguardian(content filter) will banned the phrase. LOL Nevermind.
  • whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    ciscom wrote:
    UFF!

I never thought i would open a can of worms. Don't worry guys Im not using this to ****.

If you go over to the CWNP and look at a thread like this -
    http://www.cwnp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1808
    http://www.cwnp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4010

You see CWNP is serious about catching cheaters. Whether the "cheater" is really cheating or CWNP decides they are due to CWNP's criteria. So you need to be really careful about your sources of study.
    When someone cheats on an IT certification exam, by whatever means they may choose to ****, it lessens the credibility of the certification. How? When potential candidate passes the IT exam and cheated, and then gets a job based on the fact that he "earned" that certification, he can't actually DO the job. So, he gets fired, or otherwise redistributed in the organization, and the person who hired him based on his certifications (and other qualifications, we hope) vows never to hire anyone else who holds that certification.

It is true...It is happening a lot with M$ certs. And I know a lot of them..including co-workers

But, now that we are talking about this. When I studied for my MCP(70-210) a couple of years ago, i used solely the books, cbt nuggets and transcenders. Let me tell you the kind of questions asked in the exam were far stupid than the transcenders. What i mean, I studied a lot of hard stuff that wasn't in the exam. I passed with like 79%. Transcenders questions were "satanic". LOL

The good thing is that much of transcender questions had been replicated in my job scenarios. Like the question regarding the backup tape and restoring an AD, when you had to tell an employee to
    get the tape at headquarter while you reinstall your server, thus minimizing time of recovery.
    UFF! I read both threads whistler posted...

Like the ccna, i think those were the questions that it didn't make sense in the exam, that
    one should get wrong. So if you answered correctly, then you cheated.

clever.

How to know? Only if you study you will know...this is interesting.
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    This thread did take an odd tangent, but he does bring up an interesting point with that question. In fact I THINK that question was on some material I got from the CWNP site as well. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it, but in my experience VoIP phones on PoE are big power hogs! Attaching other devices to the same switch can be problematic. Anyways just my two cents...

And congrats on going the legit road to the cert.
    rbutturini wrote:
    This thread did take an odd tangent, but he does bring up an interesting point with that question. In fact I THINK that question was on some material I got from the CWNP site as well. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it, but in my experience VoIP phones on PoE are big power hogs! Attaching other devices to the same switch can be problematic. Anyways just my two cents...

And congrats on going the legit road to the cert.

Thanks man! You're the only one who at least throw me a little light here. I asked about that topic to a couple of IT colleagues but they hasn't enough experience with VoIP solutions.

May I ask? Where can I get a little bit more of info about this PoE topic?

...About the exam.. Hope that Saturday is the day!! Right now Im sitting at my office reviewing some Security and Site Survey chapters. I hope to pass!
    ciscom wrote:
    May I ask? Where can I get a little bit more of info about this PoE topic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_ethernet
    Thanks Dynamik, but i was referring to the thing with the PoE Access Points and phones.
    When using 802.3af-compliant Power-over-ethernet switches at the network edge, what situation has the potential to adversely affect the proper operation of your 802.3af-compliant access points?

BTW I found additional interesting links at wikipedia. Thxs again.