Building my lab up, getting closer!

drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
Woohoo - I'm getting closer to having my home lab ready. I have a new baby so everything takes longer than it used to.

My memory came in yesterday. I added the FLASH and DRAM to all three routers, maxing them at 16 flash 16 dram.

I have 2 x 2501's and 1 x 2514.

One of the 2501's can only write to ONE of the Flash chips (I had one old one in there and added one new one). I read this is because the older boot ROMS can't write to newer flash chips. Since the other 2501's can write to the new chips though, I can flash to the new IOS in that one and then move the chips into the 2501 with the older boot rom.

I've heard I can also get a newer boot rom from CISCO but I don't think I need to if I flash in one and move the chips to the other.

Also, the 2514 shows 14MB/2MB in terms of DRAM. I've read that is because it has 2MB on board, and I guess the 16MB DRAM chip is misread as 14MB.

Should be okay either way though - since 12.3 only needs 16MB and it looks like I have 16MB total.

I setup all three on a switch - and gave them IP's, now I just need to get telnet working.

Later!
Andrew

Comments

• PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    a friend of mine is using 6 x 1721's with the latest IOS and he is doing a lot of stuff with them including ospfv3 and Ipv6.

1721's are cheap on ebay/craigslist and support WIC's
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    drew2000 wrote:
    One of the 2501's can only write to ONE of the Flash chips (I had one old one in there and added one new one). I read this is because the older boot ROMS can't write to newer flash chips. Since the other 2501's can write to the new chips though, I can flash to the new IOS in that one and then move the chips into the 2501 with the older boot rom.

You can buy the boot rom upgrade for around $30 shipped, but if your swap method works why spend the money?

Let us know if the swap worked, it might help someone out to know the workaround.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Update - I ordered two 2950's on eBay, and a serial crossover cable for the routers, so I should be in really good shape soon.

Andrew