A+ easy or hard?

atclaatcla Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
i know people tell me all the times... one say test is easy, other it was hard... now i just finished VTC A+ video tutorial over 8 hours and i knew 80% of the material, but when i go online and try some sample questions they get into those subject little bit deeper where experience and hands on doest get u the answer. About pins, POST message, differ cabling irq and stuff that u just need to know.
1a. so is that true that you just need to learn/memorize that stuff because most of the sample test are like real test or they just want you to be way above the test level?

- im really not sure how much more should i study cuz i dont wanna trow away 200$ for those test.

1b. another question what is an average cost of each test for A+ in US/CALIFORNIA.
my friend have told me it was 100$ each. is that accurate?

1c. what happens if u pass one part but u dont pass the other part ?

thank you.
-:: @T© ::-

Comments

• kmfinegan1kmfinegan1 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really depends on your level of experience with computers. I took the A+ back in 2001 when I was working as a PC Tech. I dealt with the stuff day in and day out so for me it was pretty easy. If you are a "computer geek" and build your own computers, repair them, etc it shouldn't be too hard.

Not too sure if they still hammer you with IRQ's anymore or not. If so, MEMORIZE that chart.

When I took the exam it was $128 per test and consisted of 2 tests. The days of CompTIA exams for me is well behind so I couldn't tell you if the format is stillthe same.

Good luck
    In Progress 70-431
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i think the prices may be a little higher now.

but the hardest things for me to learn in my A+ classes were memorizing the voltages and odd specifications about things that you probably won't need everyday.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • downloaddandownloaddan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im finding it hard theres a lot to remember a lot of depth to it and thats what makes it hard
  • atclaatcla Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    could u guys go a little bit deeper?
    maybe providing some examples ? if u recently took one or still remember
    because before i go take the test i wanna be sure that i can handle it.
    yea i've been going over sample questions are trying to realize that maybe im not ready yet
    because some of those questions as u guys said requires some knowledge/memorizations of stuff that is not used in everyday life ;)
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    im finding it hard theres a lot to remember a lot of depth to it and thats what makes it hard

let's see what Batman would do when he see joker. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
    atcla wrote:
    yea i've been going over sample questions are trying to realize that maybe im not ready yet
    because some of those questions as u guys said requires some knowledge/memorizations of stuff that is not used in everyday life ;)

that may not help you either because some in fact a lot of the questions are Easy there is just a lot of stuff to remember.

Try and remember the print process for a laser printer
    Try and remember Basic Networking concepts
    Remember Laptop stuff
    Remember Fire Extinguishers and Heath and Safety Document Procedures
    remember Power State settings Hibernate/Standby

and just read read read its impossible to know what you will be asked/tested on the exam
    some of the questions ar every basic and you will know the answer straight off. Some are a bit more tricky and some you need to watch the wording and make sure you read the questions properly.
    any questions PM me but im still trying to pass the exam icon_cool.gif
  • atclaatcla Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    to: downloaddin
    what are you waiting for ? xmas ??:D
    atcla wrote:
    to: downloaddin
    what are you waiting for ? xmas ??:D
    what do you mean?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    atcla wrote:

So are you asking someone to violate the NDA they signed?

Listen, the exam is easy or hard depending on how well you know and how frequently one uses the material. A+ is 'EASY' compared to higher level exams, but for someone who works with hardware it shouldn't be a suprise.

That being said, there are a lot of young techs who get PC Repair jobs and have lived on Plug-n-Play their whole career.

I still have peole tell me that hardware doesn't work, and I'll ask them some questions and they typically reply 'no, I didn't try that', over and over again. So, there is a new era of technicions agmonst us who want the position but not put the time it. Then I bench the system and in a couple minutes get it to boot, asking them again what problem they had??? They say, we'll it wouldn't boot. We finish check the rest of the system over and discuss it, but they basically have given up after their first and only attempt (and call the machine junk).

If that is the sort of tech you are, you'll probably find the exam more challenging. Or maybe your just a good test taker and understand how to read the questiosn.

If you are worried about throwing $200+ dollars away, then don't take the exam and find another field. Exams cost money and CompTIA exams are a little more expensive then the MS exams and other vendor exams are way more expensive. When you consider some certificate require 5-7 exams before you are awarded the certificate for an MS Cert that will be $625-$875 for the honor to call yourself (MSCE or whatever) not counting books and training materials.

I have not found a field that offered additional training or a means to have add a creditional to ones name and not see it cost a nominal fee. In all fairness, what would you invest in a college education to have a degree these days? $2K on cert prep is nothing compared to a full 2-4 year education. You may also not have the same opportunities you'd have with a college degree, but investing in certifications will offer clients and possibly employers an idea of your compentancies.

As far as materials:

1. Get the objectives.
    2. What books are you using? I (and many others here recommend) Mike Meyers All-in-One and Sybex A+. You will want more then 1 source for study.
    3. What experience do you have? The exam is geared toward a candidate with experience. Some will insist they need the exam before they will be hired, when an applicant doesn't bring many skills to the table....then it may come down to a cert. I have always found people who are willing to work, present themselves well and never let me down with or without a degree/cert. They can seek certs out after and if motivated....they will.

I don't recommend practice tests, and I say that because too often I find people 'practice' practice tests and memorize the correct answer for their next pass through. If a practice exam is used to measure ones starting point and then where they fall after study....it can be a useful tool.

What else are you using to prep?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I think they got rid of memorizing the IRQ's. I didn't have any questions regarding it on my exam.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    I think they got rid of memorizing the IRQ's. I didn't have any questions regarding it on my exam.

A PC Technician SHOULD know them regardless.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?