exam techniques (70-270 and others for that matter) SUCCESS

I realise that each person has his / her own way of approaching a MS exam.

My previous method has worked OK for 70-271 / 70-272 and 70-290

i.e. answer all questions as they come, awkward ones mark for review if unsure, ones you are certain of - leave unmarked for review.

At the end of the exam - review the ones marked for review and then press finish button to reveal Good or Bad News.

This method failed on my last attempt at the 70-270:
finished 50 questions in 1 hour, took 1/2 hour to review ones marked for review, pressed button - failed on 654 marks icon_sad.gif - Had 1/2 hr left for further reviewing if necessary.

Do you think its best to go with your gut feelings on answered questions or do you review ALL questions just in case you may have overlooked something - I am aware of the need to avoid reviewing good answers and amending them to wrong answers.

Any thoughts, my re-sit is on Tuesday AM

thanks

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never review. I constantly second guess myself, and I'd rather just go with my first choice. I've occasionally gone back a to a specific question when something *clicked* later on. Unless I know an answer is wrong, I don't change it. I suppose leaving difficult ones unanswered and going back to them later might work as well. Everyone's different. Do what works for you. There isn't a right or wrong way. Some exams don't give you the option to go back, so that makes things really simple!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd agree with what dynamik said. Just tick the answer you think is correct. You might end up getting a question wrong if you second guessed yourself. But mark the questions that you are doubtful about, and review them at the end. but if you are royal, dynamik, snadam, Mishra, undomiel, (there are so many others too) you dont need to review anything, coz you know your sh!t :)

I have taken only 1 MS test so far, but I did review all questions as it was my first exam and I wasnt taking any chances. I did spot a couple of mistakes I had made which I think got me full points in the end.

If you feel you need to review all questions, by all means, go for it. Heck, it's your test and your cert on the line.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    MobilOne wrote:
    but if you are royal, dynamik, snadam, Mishra, undomiel, (there are so many others too) you dont need to review anything, coz you know your sh!t :)

Hahaha oh I wish that was true! :D You did see my score for the 294, right?

My tactic was to go through and answer each question to the best of my ability right then and there. If I was uncertain about something or confused about something I would mark it for review but I would still provide an answer at the time. Then when I go through and review I would have to give myself an extremely good reason for why I switch my answer. Just "I had a feeling" isn't good enough. If that was all I had then I wasn't switching my answer. It had to be fact based. I would usually only change one or two answers per an exam, and it was usually due to me missing a word or misunderstanding a phrasing of something the first time I had read the question/answer.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Retook 70-270 today and got 715 - A PASS IS A PASS :) (previous attempt 654 marks)

Big thankyou to those who have replied to my postings and to this forum in general.

I have spent probably a few hours looking though others pass / fail experiences - this forum is super and encourages fellow users in a very positive way.

Spent all of the available time on this test today - reviewing right to the end to squeeze any extra marks out of the system :)

Prometric Test nearly went belly-up at one stage after 45 questions were done but technicians revived it, I'm glad to say.

I still can't believe how difficult and wide-ranging this exam was - the 70-290 was easy compared to this and I've put quite a lot of work in for both.

Many thanks once again to all.

Gardening, DIY during the summer hols and then swot up for the beast (70-291).