Options

Which Home Study Course for CompTIA?

KALQL8RKALQL8R Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to sign up for a home study course. The CompTIA website has links to Thomson NETg, MindLeaders, and Infosource, Inc. Does anyone have experience with these courses, good or bad??? I would appreciate any advice on which course I should choose.

Regards,

Rob.

Comments

• Options
    TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    Which Cert are you going for? A+, Network +? Were you looking for a Book, or CBT training? For the A+ I used the Mike Meyers all in one, for the old 2003 objectives, that was really good. As a test engine go for Transcender if you can afford it, as they're really close to the types of question you'll face in the test.
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • Options
    BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really didn't like Meyer's books. Well I at least thought his network+ book was better than the A+. What I have used and will continue to use are the exam cram2 books. They are less money and give more (I feel) in dept view of your topic at hand. I have also used Sybex, MarK Minasi is one of the best Technical authors I have ever read, and I find his humor more on my level, as opposed to Mike Meyer's.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Sorry to be vague. I want to take the A+ exams, and am looking into the computer based training materials. Thanks.
  • Options
    wylie24wylie24 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I took my A+, I used the all in one books by Total Seminairs. It was an awsome book and really helped with my studies. Now keep in mind I took mine last year and the objectives have changed. The best thing to do is get on the net and research different books and courses while you have the objectives printed off and beside you so that you know what you are looking for. Also keep in mind that ONE book is NEVER enough. One book cannot cover all the material required to pass a certification exam, especially if you want to kick some ass on the exam and not just squeeze through it. You will need to know the material to get a job in the field and most employers also test you on your knowledge and do not just take the certificate as the be all and end all in hiring.

So I guess what I am saying is that you will need to do research to find a course that will help you learn and follow the objectives. By finding a book or course that will help you learn I mean that some people can learn from only reading and some need visual and audio to go with it, so find what works for you. As well make sure you keep learning with web sites and a good idea is to find some good newletters and sign up to them so that you get computer news in your mailbox on a daily or weekly basis so that you can stay up to date with computer advancements. For example the new BTX form factor. A friend of mine took the A+ last month and of course BTX was not in it because it is still due for official release but if you were to get a job in in the IT field, you will have to know about suff like that.

Another help is to get some test engines. Transcender is good for A+ but if you want to keep going with certs, you may want to splurge and get Boson. I find that they are better with their questions, especially with courses like MCSA (210,215,21icon_cool.gif and Security+.

hope this helps a little. Some books that I would look up are the All In One books, Sybex Press books and for good review before the exam and to compliment other books, I find that the Passport books are a good review of material learned.
    Helpful Hint
    > When your brain leaks out of your ears, you need to stop reading and play a game!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Many thanks to those who were kind enough to reply to me.

Regards,

Rob.
  • Options
    TranscenderJayTranscenderJay Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wylie24 wrote:
    Another help is to get some test engines. Transcender is good for A+ but if you want to keep going with certs, you may want to splurge and get Boson. I find that they are better with their questions, especially with courses like MCSA (210,215,21icon_cool.gif and Security+.

Thanks to all for recommending our (Transcender) products. wylie24, is there anything specific with our products that you weren't happy with? We make every effort to ensure that all of our products are relevant and up-to-date.
    Developer, Transcender/Self Test Software