Options

Now LPIC-1 Certified

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sat the 102 exam this morning and passed to become LPIC-1 certified. I thought this exam was a bit easier than the 101 exam, but was still pretty tough.

I had questions on what seemed like everything: kernel configuration (modprobe, lsmod, modinfo, etc), scheduling using cron/at, mail setup, user and group administration, scripting, network configuration including apache, samba, nfs, and subnet masks, and the list goes on and on.

I studied using the O'Reilly book (excellent) and the IBM DeveloperWorks tutorials. I also complimented this with on-the-job experience and a few virtual appliances using VMWare player.

Time to celebrate with a nice Don Pepin Cuban Classic :)
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great timing! We're officially starting our RHCE studies this week, so now you don't have any excuses not to join in ;)

Congratulations on the pass!

If you don't hop on the RHCE bandwagon, what's next on your agenda?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations on your pass! I would definitely second those DeveloperWorks tutorials. There's a lot of good info in there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Thanks dynamik...

RHCE really would be overkill for the skills I need at my job. The information covered in Linux+ and LPIC-1 really is all I will need to be comfortable with the Linux systems I work with. I just feel that taking RHCE right now doesn't fit my career path, at least not right now :)

I am considering a cert in line with Oracle DBA. I have been bogged down at work so study time has been tight, but hopefully I can make a decision within the month.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great job! I need to hear these success stories sometimes to get me motivated.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass I hope to pick this one up in the next year or so as well... :)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!!! after MCSE for me, Im going to delve into something Linux...RHCE perhaps icon_confused.gif: :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Very cool, congrats on the pass and the new LPIC-1 status. Oh, and enjoy that Cuban Classic, I had a robusto last night as I was watching some CBT Nuggets videos. (It was gooooood.) I've got a Don Pepin Garcia JJ Maduro tucked away for when I pass my next exam. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Very cool, congrats on the pass and the new LPIC-1 status. Oh, and enjoy that Cuban Classic, I had a robusto last night as I was watching some CBT Nuggets videos. (It was gooooood.) I've got a Don Pepin Garcia JJ Maduro tucked away for when I pass my next exam. :D

I need to pick up some cohibas and macanudos here soon for an MCSE extravaganza!!! Yea Yea they aren't Cuban, but they still are really good, IMO.

k, ill stop taking this thread way off topic.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I studied for this particular exam for about 4 months (on and off) so I'm glad to be done with it. One thing I didn't mention previously is that about 25% of the exam was the fill in the blank, which required me to type a specific command, config file, argument, etc. I like this format because either you know it or you don't :)

Good to see some fellow cigar smokers here. I just got into the "hobby" and I love it, it serves as a nice reward for a hard weeks worth of work and is one of life's great pleasures.
  • Options
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Thanks everyone! I studied for this particular exam for about 4 months (on and off) so I'm glad to be done with it. One thing I didn't mention previously is that about 25% of the exam was the fill in the blank, which required me to type a specific command, config file, argument, etc. I like this format because either you know it or you don't :)

Good to see some fellow cigar smokers here. I just got into the "hobby" and I love it, it serves as a nice reward for a hard weeks worth of work and is one of life's great pleasures.

to avoid a thread hijack I made this one
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=245990#245990

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    BeaverC32 wrote:

I will agree with you on that. I had a large portion of my exam as fill in the blank. Some were as easy as a single very common command others were much more lengthy and obscure.

I still havent decided if i will continue on with the LPIC program or not. We dont have any linux machines at work and i hate to dedicate time and energy on learning something that i cant easily put into practice.