Please, I need some Comptia A+ help.

depotterdepotter Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the Comptia A+ Essentials test on July 7th. I scored a 670. I was very disappointed but okay so my ego was a lot bigger than reality. I thought I would sail through this first certification test. So since then I've been studying like crazy. I've got several different books, I've got online classes, I've got practice test, etc. My problem is I'm staying at the same level as when I took the test. I guess I may not be retaining the information. I'm really not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing for this test that will help me have a new plan and goal? I appreciate any help you can give. Please forgive me if I have not done something correct here as this is my first time to do anything like this.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Have you tried taking notes while reading? I find that writing down the information as I read helps retain it a lot more.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • depotterdepotter Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I have taken two yellow pads worth of notes. Any other suggestions?
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Repetition works for me. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    It sounds like from the 2 responses that I have had so far that I am doing everything I can. I guess I'm just slow on what I call "the uptake". Thank you for replying. I look forward to any other suggestions that anyone might have for me.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just keep going over it and don't rush yourself. What seems like an overwhelming amount of information today will seem like basic knowledge in a couple of weeks.

I always get frustrated when I start studying for a new. It feels like I don't know anything! However, it always seems to come together sometime in the near future.
    I have taken several of all the responses that I have gotten including yours about going over and over. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having this problem. I know that I'm not stupid because I was either smart enough or fooled a bunch of people to get a Bachelor Degree and a Masters Degree. I was beginning to think I was crazy. (Well, if you ask my friends they will tell you I am crazy.)

Thank you for the input and I am going to keep trudging through.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Flash cards are my friend, and they can be yours too. Certs are oftentimes a lot of memorization, whereas college, while having some memorization, is more of a "do you understand the big picture, the theme of what is being taught".
  • PC SurgeonPC Surgeon Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You may think I'm crazy but I tell you the truth. Take TWO days and do not even THINK of the exam or studying. Go have a couple beers with friends, relax and enjoy yourself. After two days you will come back refreshed, ready to absorb more knowledge. Do this and everything will fall into place. Enjoy! :D
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    depotter wrote:
    I took the Comptia A+ Essentials test on July 7th. I scored a 670. I was very disappointed but okay so my ego was a lot bigger than reality. I thought I would sail through this first certification test. So since then I've been studying like crazy. I've got several different books, I've got online classes, I've got practice test, etc. My problem is I'm staying at the same level as when I took the test. I guess I may not be retaining the information. I'm really not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing for this test that will help me have a new plan and goal? I appreciate any help you can give. Please forgive me if I have not done something correct here as this is my first time to do anything like this.

How much experience do you have using this material? Sounds almost like you are merely reading the books and memorizing practice questions. The data sticks a lot different when you have experience to apply with it. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't feel bad about, failing you is how Comptia makes it's money. I'm not a fan.

If you have read over a couple books, watched the training videos at a place like www.vtc.com and feel comfortable with it all, it's time to move over to Q&A.

Get a hold of as many A+ books as you can and read every question and answer. If you get one wrong, don't just memorize but memorize the related material. If you get a question wrong because you forgot a specific IRQ, don't memorize just that one IRQ, memorize all of them... etc.

Of course think back to the exam as you study and focus in on your weak spots. You will see some of the same questions again.
    -Daniel
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I have found to work for me is that I rephrase key concepts... I'll highlight important points, draw diagrams, and red line functional or operational details. After all these are done, if there's something that I do not understand well but I kind of understand, I will rephrase it in my own words in red pen around the borders or somewhere there is space in the book. I'm not a big fan of notepads, I write and mark up my books like crazy.