Got my A+ Cert in the mail today!

Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since i got my A+, i already have a job with my dad, but its boring, should i try to pursue another job, or just stick with it until i need to leave? I do know computers pretty well, like i could recommend good motherboards, cpus, video cards, etc, operating systems, etc. Problem is im 19, and it is diffciult to be hired s a 19 yr old computer techician, but the benefit they start out makin $12+ an hour.
Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
Degree Completion: Spring 2013
Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Boring the job may be, but stick with it. Experience counts a lot! Does your Dad run his own computer business? If so, that's even better because it's real work. Although, being a tech is more than just knowing components. I'm not sure if you could get a computer tech job with A+ and some experience, but I would reccomend to keep studying. You'll get that resume experience, plus you could learn some software, and heads towards MCDST/MCSA/MCSE.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Congrats on your A+, experience is what is needed most for that next job.
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    actually i do something completely unrelated to the computer field, simple manual labor work stuff. My question is this, how in the hell u get exp if noone hires u? I mean how u supposed to get experience if noone gives u a chance.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I asked the same question a while ago. I found just keep trying. Even if you can get a cheap pay job in your field, experience is what really counts.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • IMuaTechIMuaTech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say, go to college and work at help desk, or get an unpaid internship. But if college is not your forte, try to get whatever job available (sweeping floor, pencil pusher, receptionist) at your local computer repair shop / technology related business and work your way up.

Also, check to see if Dell needs any technicians. A couple of years ago this guy I knew got a job as a local Dell tech and he said you didn't even need A+, they trained you and you'd end with enough knowledge to become A+ certified. not sure if it's still true tho, perhaps it varies depending on where you are.

-IMT
  • HÆLLRÆZORHÆLLRÆZOR Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok you have your A+ that is one of the steps to get a good job. Now listen very carfuly to what a wise man once told me "it's not what you know it's who you know". So now how do we get to know people in the business. Easy Tech conventions and job fairs. Go to these and impress people with not only your knowledge but your professionalism and your charm. Local conventions are the best because you might meet a local person that went to the same high school you did or knows your family somehow. Trust me though I wouldn't be making the kind of money I make at 24 if I didn't follow that quote.
  • PawNtheSandmanPawNtheSandman Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I got my A+, I thought things looked bright. Then I realized that when you tell people you have your A+, you get laughed at. I couldn't get a job at Best Buy or CompUSSR. I had to beg the local mom/pop shop to give me a job. They did, but because they are broke, they couldn't afford a constant inventory of merchandise. Combine that with the fact that they considered full time to be 12 hrs a week, and then I realized that I am not making any money, and bills don't pay them self. So I left.
    Currently Studying: CCNA