Addiction?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Addiction?
Just a quick throught I had as loads of people seem to start off with a Cert then move onto the next one and then the next one and kind of get obssession with it all and then it becomes and addiction and they are studying all the time! icon_sad.gif

am I right in thinking this all just plan stupid!? icon_twisted.gif

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Yes, learning is an addiction and should be stopped at all costs. BTW, can we tax learning? If we can, we should find ways to control production of learning so we can be sure we tax every last bit of it.

Oh wait....
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No I would have to say you are right. I don't know if it is the feel you get when passing a test it just makes you want to keep going or we all just like learning more and more to have better jobs.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have no clue what you're talking about icon_rolleyes.gif
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    It is an addiction. If you decide not to improve your knowlege you will be out of a job in less than a year. By the way are you posting on this website with your windows 95? :D
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think both points are true. Once you work hard on a cert and pass the test you gain a good sense of accomplishment, so you want to experience that again. However, you never lose the reason why you started which of course is self improvement for better pay and position. icon_wink.gif
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I don't need the cert to continue learning but the cert is a nice bonus to show a potential employer.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    It is plain stupid. To waste a good amount of your day studying and learning when you can be out partying and living the good life. Broke and stupid is the way to be. Who needs job security. Those guys are wasting their entire life. Party on!!!!!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    undomiel wrote:
    I don't need the cert to continue learning but the cert is a nice bonus to show a potential employer.

BINGO!!!!

The great feeling of accomplishment when you pass an exam can become addictive though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I'm thinking of a Video Game. Like a Massive Multiplayer Online game called "Cert World" and you level up a character studying for Certifications. Your character gains new powerful moves when you pass an exam. And and and... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

All this talk about addictions is making me think certifications are like Everquest and World of Warcraft. :)
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't taken a certification in a while. I've done a lot of OCS design but not a whole lot of configuration yet. I'm working on a huge OCS design and implementation right now, so I'll probably wait to do my OCS exam till I finish so I have the experience going into the exam.

I've also done quite a bit of ISA stuff but not any of the WPAD, using ISA as a 3-legged firewall, VPN, etc... I'm not too interested in learning too much more about ISA so I may not take that exam. If I do take the exam, I'll probably go back and do 70-298 to get my MCSE:S since I did do 70-299.

I've just been reading random stuff like re-reading some of my security stuff, trying to learn more about PowerShell, etc....

Other than OCS, I don't think I'll be doing any other certification exams for a while although I do plan on doing ITIL Foundations in Q4 2008.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    I have no clue what you're talking about icon_rolleyes.gif
    Addiction? Nah, we don't have any addictive personalities around here. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Yes, learning is an addiction and should be stopped at all costs. BTW, can we tax learning? If we can, we should find ways to control production of learning so we can be sure we tax every last bit of it.

Oh wait....

Sounds like a Kurt Vonnegut story
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    it might be is like when you working out and you look at the mirror and look at yourself and you dont seem to be happy with the results then you keep working out so more but for other people you look huge, samething with certs you wont be sitisfied until you get the result you expect which is passing and knowledge and that my friends is priceless icon_lol.gif
  • Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's like getting a tattoo...you go through the painful process, but once completed, you immediately want another one. Pretty soon you're inked up and you have to wear long-sleeve shirts to work!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Heroin is addictive... crack is addicitve... Certifications are about money and ego.

You can learn all of this stuff without taking a test at the end.
  • telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im not addicted I can stop at any time, that is until Im jonesing for the next Cisco Press self study cert guide, or Cisco Doc for my next big fix, er I mean Exam. this is of coarse when I end up on the street corner meeting up with my dealer(Lab partner)........ "come on man Ive got the good stuff make you fly real high, grade A 100% Cisco Documentation, garanteed to help you with your routing and switching labs....."

"I just need a little taste! (pick me up)"!