Why do printer need AppelTalk to communicate with Apple comp

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
I thought AppleTalk protocal was like that of Samba of Unix. Samba helps a Unix machine communicate with another machine that has a different Operating System, such as a Windows Operating System

So I expected that AppleTalk helps a computer of Machintosh communicate with a computer of a different Operating system!

So why does a printer need the AppleTalk protocol? It doesnt even have an operating system. I thought TCP/IP is what it used to communicate with the Apple Machintosh computer and vice versa.

Samething with a Novel Netware Server, the answer to the question said that Apple computer needed the IPX/SPX protocol or the Netware Server needed the Appletalk protocol to establish communication.

I thought both computers used TCP/IP to communicate cause there was no mention of a different Operating System on the Novell
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    So I expected that AppleTalk helps a computer of Machintosh communicate with a computer of a different Operating system!
    Not necessarily. It seems like you are missing the point of 'protocols', in this case communication protocols. In order for two systems to be able to communicate, they must speak the same language. Regardless of what operating systems they use.

For example, AppleTalk 'was' the primary protocol on a Mac, hence it was used to communicate with other Macs. But if you wanted to communicate with a non-Mac device (i.e. a printer or other network device) then that other device must speak the same language. Since the Mac speaks AppleTalk, the printer must as well. Or, which is common today, the Mac and the printer would both use the 'language' (protocol) TCP/IP.
    Samething with a Novel Netware Server, the answer to the question said that Apple computer needed the IPX/SPX protocol or the Netware Server needed the Appletalk protocol to establish communication.
    That is correct, or better said: that 'was' correct, because nowadays Novell and Mac operating systems both use TCP/IP by default.
    I thought both computers used TCP/IP to communicate cause there was no mention of a different Operating System on the Novell
    Novell Netware is a different Operating System... but you are still correct, in a modern setup both would use TCP/IP. It all depends on the version of the Mac and the Novell OS.

I suggest reading the following TechNotes for more information:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/appletalk.shtml
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/netwareipx.shtml

I hope this helps!

Johan
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So everthing has changed, I guess I have to worry about what is obsolete and not used anymore

but Im still a little confuse about Samba, so it is not a protocol?

this site that I usually go to says it allows a non-Windows server to communicate with the same networking protocol as the Windows products

http://www.pcwebopedia.com/TERM/S/Samba.html
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!