Using IGRP

DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I used RIP sucessfully up to this point. Want to try IGRP.

Do I add IGRP the same as RIP? Like this:

router igrp 10
network 172.16.0.0
network 172.16.1.0

Do I enter the networks directly connected just like I would in RIP? Or is it a different process
Thanks

Comments

• amod_pandyaamod_pandya Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well directly connected networks dont require a routing protocol to be identified, remember they are denoted with a "C" in the routing table?
    But otherwise yes the basic configuration is identical for RIP and IGRP except for the ASN.

hope it helps.
    :: PEACE ::
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    well directly connected networks dont require a routing protocol to be identified, remember they are denoted with a "C" in the routing table?
    icon_confused.gif Identifying the directly connected networks to the routing protocol is exactly what is required. You need to tell the routing process which local networks are attached so it knows which one to send to other routers.

@Danh: Setting up RIP and IGRP is indeed very similar. The main difference in 'starting the IGRP routing process' and starting up RIP is that IGRP requires the AS number.

Click here for more detailed information about setting up and configuring IGRP.
  • amod_pandyaamod_pandya Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i thought the poster was asking something else...i thought he was asking about detection....got confused with the question!!
    :: PEACE ::
  • DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another quick question.
    IGRP uses classful routing and is not capable of classless routing right?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Indeed, IGRP it is classful and does not include the subnet mask in updates, hence no VLSM possible.
  • schneemanschneeman Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danh wrote:
    I used RIP sucessfully up to this point. Want to try IGRP.

Do I add IGRP the same as RIP? Like this:

router igrp 10
    network 172.16.0.0
    network 172.16.1.0

Do I enter the networks directly connected just like I would in RIP? Or is it a different process
    Thanks
    Hey hey wait a minute.You cannot use 172.16.0.0 and 172.16.1.0 network at same time.172 is a class b adress and you can just use 172.16.0.0.In the real world if you can write network 172.16.1.0 than router will add 172.16.0.0 to the routing list.But you never make this mistake in exam.Remember that THINK CLASSFUL IF YOU ARE USING SUBNET.
    Please lookt at Sybex 2004 page 238.There is a very special warning and note there about this subject.