An observation

RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
Now I am actually working in the industry with Linux administration being a fair part of my duties I would most definitely suggest the following.

Relearn what you already know !!

By this I mean - Throw away your Xwindow, throw away your Gnome, throw away your KDE and learn to run *nix from the command line only. Not one of the sites we administer has a GUI, and I have to say that I struggle ... lol At the end of the day the thing that matters is not the desktop, but how we are able to manipulate the system itself.
www.supercross.com
FIM website of the year 2007

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm in a UNIX/Linux adminstration class for the A.S. program that I am working on. The class is taught be a UNIX consultant and he has doing most of our work from the commandline for exactly the reason you mentioned.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • bwolfebwolfe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    XWindows? Oh... you mean run level 5. :P

3 is all you need!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only had 2 GUI question on my exam, so i'm glad I focused on the cli.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    great observation....I had to brush up on my command line stuff, when I started messing around with the servers at hackerslab.org.....fun stuff
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • ucanbbreacheducanbbreached Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    command line is great. easy to manipulate a server and most of the time quicker than searching for a gui's checkbox
  • superflyzx3superflyzx3 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another good idea is to document everything you do, also it not a bad idea to backup your /etc directory either.
  • crc32crc32 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    Now I am actually working in the industry with Linux administration being a fair part of my duties I would most definitely suggest the following.

Relearn what you already know !!

By this I mean - Throw away your Xwindow, throw away your Gnome, throw away your KDE and learn to run *nix from the command line only. Not one of the sites we administer has a GUI, and I have to say that I struggle ... lol At the end of the day the thing that matters is not the desktop, but how we are able to manipulate the system itself.

I take it your machines are mostly servers, and I guess it makes
    since to not have a GUI resource hog running on the machine. I think most home users need the desktop experience before they consider linux useful. IE they will need the GUI but must eventually learn to configure everything from the console. I tend to view X as a glorfied super shell rather than being a critical part of the OS.
    Guess I picked the wrong time to graduate. :|