Passed CCIE Voice (written)

LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
So I passed my CCIE voice written. It was a lot different then I thought it was going to be. ( this was my first CCIE test)... I have more to post but don't have time... just thought I would jump on here and post... thanks to everyone
The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    :D:D excellent news, congratulations! icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif
    WIP: IPS exam
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I can't wait to hear what you think it was like. I hope to someday sit for 1 or more CCIE tests, but not anytime soon.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Good luck on your lab studies!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats, Lucky!

You have a lab date setup yet? ;)
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats, keep us apprised as you prep for the lab.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Ok... sorry for not being able to stop and post up everything.. -- (this is going to be long)

1. Day before test

As some of you might know I have a caffeine addiction that is out of control. But before I take any of my cert test i try to do a quick cleanse. ( ie cold turkey caffeine for 2 days prior to the test so that I am calm before the test.) So I woke up around 10:30 am on Sat. because I crammed that night before... ( I usually cram the weeks before and take the day before a test to not think about anything dealing with Computers.) I then went and hung our with my brother and friends for a good old fashion Texan cook out... Was over there pretty much all day... icon_sad.gif couldn't drink with them because like I said before I try to cleanse but still had a good time... After which I took a good ride on my motorcycle and just chilled running around the open highways that North Dallas provides... By the end of the ride it was getting kinda late 9:00pm and I was still very nervous, so I went down town and sat in front of a fountain and listened to the eagles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd. ( I had them on my Mp3 player..--- Side not -- I was thinking about the test all day**trying not to but didn't work**) I have to tell you that eagles/Zeppelin with the lights of downtown was amazing... that did the trick and calmed me down.. After which I went to bed..11:00..

The next day I went to take my test.. 12:00pm, simple because I like to sleep in and not be rushed to the testing center but still like to take it when I first wake up...ooh ya I ate breakfast at the cheesecake factory... ( BRUNCH THERE IS AMAZING)

2. The test...

BEFORE YOU ASK ( I am not going to say anything about what was in the test)

I am pretty familiar with CCM/Unity/VOIP in general. But I have to tell you even for me some of the questions were really hard. As much as I studied I thought I was going to be over prepared for this test but i was extremely surprised at how in depth you needed to know the intricacies of every product/technologies. If you think just skimming over the top objectives will get you past this test you are extremely disillusioned. This is still just a qualifier for the lab but I have to tell you this is a test not to be take lightly. That said Good Luck if you are thinking about taking it.

Some One had asked me what my lab looks like...

Well first off I have to recommend 2 things before thinking about labs...

1. Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587050757

2. Robert Webber's CCIE Voice Written Study Guide - I had to add a little in to it for me but over all a very good starting point... It allowed me to find where I was weak and where I was strong.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CCIE-Voice-Written-Study-Guide_W0QQitemZ300247753307QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300247753307&_trkparms=72%3A1077|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218494307325

Now for my lab

--- Home Lab ---
    3 x 2801 - VWIC/FXO-FXS cards (upgraded mem - Gatekeepers)
    5 x 3810 - T1/PRI cards ( non-v3's I wish they were v3's though)
    2 x 3560's
    1 x 3500XL
    2 x 2960's
    1 x 2900XL
    1 x Dell /??? unmanageable
    10 x 7940's
    4 x Analog Phones
    2 x Fax machines
    4 x VM box's running CCM 4.1 - Unity - Asterisk

1 x A electric bill that would make bill gates cry!!!!!!!

What I need

1 x VG248
    1 x ATA183 --- I know I should buy it but just haven't yet
    1 x 6608
    1 x 6624
    1 x CUE -- AIM or NM ( prefer NM but $$$ isn't there right now)

As some of you might notice the 6K isn't in that list of need... simple because I have 2 at work that are my play toys until install... 2009

If you guys have any more question please don't hesitate to ask.. Once again to everyone..

gulp: gulp: time for another AMP!!!!
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
    dynamik

You have a lab date setup yet? icon_wink.gif

I want to take it in mid December...
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Holy crap that's an expensive lab!

Forgot to ask. How does the IE compare to the VP?
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    To be honest I thought there was a giant GAP between the VP and the IE... Not so much in the general VOIP design but in the aspect of hands on... You can pretty much for the most part touch a product once or twice and READ a lot on it and pass the VP.. while you need to be pretty familiar with the technologies/products for the IE...

For instance with the VP you can say I know how MGCP/SIP/H.323 works and get away with just knowing the basics... ( now I am not down playing the CCVP at all i was ecstatic when I got mine) but in the over all scope you need to really know what is exactly going on.. When a connection skips a heart beat you need to know what heart beat it is skipping an why... that was just an example...

But if you have already gone as far as getting you CCVP then I wouldn't think you would mind walking a little bit further down the IE road.

--- That is just my Voip Lab --- I am working on my Security Lab too... ( Some of that is reused in the security lab though)
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! How long have you been in the voice field? Did your real-world experiences help you any for the written or were the details so nitty gritty that you really had to rely on the book study
    I work daily in the voice field and have for the last 3 years... Books will always be my first source for knowledge but you have to be able to back up your knowledge with hands-on experience. ( i know this is backwards from most peoples thinking but I feel that if you don't know how the technology was originally designed then how can you possibility implement / troubleshoot it correctly and know its advantages and disadvantages. Hope that helps..
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Well done man.

I had the pleasure of working with a CCIE voice with my last role, I learnt a lot from him :)

good luck with the lab!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!