Active Directory

pit949pit949 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just wondering what kind of server configuration would I need to hold about 100 user using window 2003 active directory? I do not want to over spend on the server and also do not want to under spend on the cpu or ram? Thanks
~
Tai Bui

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What else are you going to be doing with it besides using it as a domain controller? DCs really don't need much of anything...

If you have the money and you're just need a domain controller, I'd go for a second server so you can have redundancy instead of trying to beef up a single box.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DCs barely require anything just as long as there's no other server applications running on it. Here is a good sizing doc:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728303.aspx

The smallest setup they have is:

Example 1:
    By using this graph, you determine that an existing domain controller with a single 800 MHz processor (Configuration A) is adequate to support 800 users at 50% CPU usage. However, if you expect to support a greater number of users in the near future, you might decide to either add another domain controller with the same configuration or replace your existing domain controller with a higher-end model.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • pit949pit949 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for your help :)
    ~
    Tai Bui