Options

Is it possible to cross ISDN over?

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
Two of my routers came with ISDN BRI-U WICs and I was curious if you could cross these over without an Adtran. In the Net Acad we used the Adtran to do the labs for ISDN, but I don't have one of those at home.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You'll need a BRI simulator. Cost is usually not worth it (especially these days) you're better off just renting rack time if you need to get up to speed.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    You'll need a BRI simulator. Cost is usually not worth it (especially these days) you're better off just renting rack time if you need to get up to speed.

Isn't that big of a deal, they just came with the routers and was wondering if they were useful for anything. Guess not. Thanks.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ISDN simulators were really expensive and then once the CCNA dropped it, a whole bunch appeared on eBay for cheap from people selling their lab simulators. No clue how much they are now tho.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    ISDN simulators were really expensive and then once the CCNA dropped it, a whole bunch appeared on eBay for cheap from people selling their lab simulators. No clue how much they are now tho.
    They're still $300-400. In my opinion you could rent some rack time for maybe $100-150 and get the same value.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    They're still $300-400. In my opinion you could rent some rack time for maybe $100-150 and get the same value.

Or just have my old Cisco instructor open up the lab for me.

Another option is to do what she has been wanting to do for a long time. Which is setting up the lab at school, hook it up to the network and make it so that people can VPN into it from home to do their labs.
  • Options
    Or just have my old Cisco instructor open up the lab for me.
    Yeah, that would work too icon_lol.gif

I still have about 6-8 sites with ISDN/BRI connections to a PRI. There still are no better cost effective options for them (in the middle of industrial areas where no one cares about phone/data speeds). Oh well, I guess I can "practice" anytime. :)
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    I still have about 6-8 sites with ISDN/BRI connections to a PRI. There still are no better cost effective options for them (in the middle of industrial areas where no one cares about phone/data speeds). Oh well, I guess I can "practice" anytime. :)

Well besides the practice of setting it up the real reason I wanted to be able to do it was so that I wouldn't have to buy another card for a 2610 and still have an open ethernet port, but I am sure I can think of some odd thing to do with it :D
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me, I practiced ISDN with pen and paper. I wrote down configs and checked them against lab configs in study guides.