70-270 is going to be my first!

haftap00phaftap00p Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I am finally biting the bullet and going to start writing. I've been doing IT for the past 10 years and the only cert I've got is A+ icon_eek.gif I've been stubborn for a long time on writing any more certs. Now I'm finally starting to see that more certs = more money! Even though I'm a server admin now, you still can't possibly know it all.

So now that I've been going through my study materials. I'm like WOW this is a whack of stuff that I haven't even looked at or thought about in years. I figured I'd start with XP as it would be the easiest to start with. Now that I've come into the forums, I see several people saying it's more difficult then 70-290! icon_confused.gif To late now. It's paid for and I'm writing the 18th. :)

For those that have written and passed, what seem to be the most important topics that I should put a lot of focus on? Cause I just had to read about all the accessibility options and regional options and language settings about three times to make sure it was in my head for any questions that may arise on the exam. I want to make sure I have all the important things covered.

By the way I'm using Test Out's, Sybex text book and CBT's

Thanks all!

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck icon_thumright.gif

I'm in a similar boat in that I've been in IT for 9yrs and apart from the odd MCP, didn't really get started into the whole certification thing (until last year). Just remember that the certs will go nicely with all that experience you've accrued over the years and will help fill in some knowledge gaps (and if anything like me doing some study will help you remember why you got into IT in the first place.)

I haven't done the XP one myself though, so not sure what to suggest on that one. Presumably you've had a look through the forums here for some pointers/tips?
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • haftap00phaftap00p Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes you are correct there. Some stuff I totally forgot about as I don't use it daily. Interesting stuff at that. I have browsed the forums and the tech notes. Just hoping somebody that has just freshly written might be able to say "I seen a lot of this on my exam."
  • AngusGAngusG Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, first time poster... about to sit mine in a few days as well.. Hardest thing I've found is finding incomplete study guides online... I'd find a couple of study guides which were quite lacking in info, then find a full study guide which had different opinions or techniques..

This is my first MS exam, my boss suggested 70-270 first.. I'm hoping 70-290 is a bit easier like you guys said.. This is my first time studying in 5 years so the ol' brain's a little rusty..

What's the pass mark?? I thought it was 85%??
  • AngusGAngusG Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah... Any general tips would be appreciated as well :P

Think right now my biggest problems are IIS and RRAS services.. So far the biggest things I've learnt myself is to read the question CAREFULLY and CLEARLY identify the objectives.. Often there'll be similar answers, but only one will provide all the objectives...
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't worry about RRAS until 291. For the 270 the biggest things are like permissions and back-ups and installations and performance monitoring. Make sure you know those ones backwords and forwards. Don't forget to make sure you've studied all the areas on the prep guide. This exam is pretty difficult if you haven't done an MS exam before so make sure you read ALL of the question. Pass mark is at 70%. Have fun!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Well sadly for myself I just failed this with a score of 677. Sadly I had a lot of things go down with my Grandmother dying just a few days before I wrote. Luckily a free second shot is coming up. But I crammed as much as I could with everything that went on. But I still didn't get properly prepared for the exam. I was pretty dissapointed in myself for failing this.

What there was a lot of on my exam was Security templates. Around 8 questions to be exact. And I think I got all but one wrong. Installing, Optimizing, Troubleshooting, and protocols I got perfect or nearly perfect on the report they give you at the end to tell you where you need to improve. And the retarded printer questions they asked threw me some to. If I had actually read about 3 paragraphs about the security templates and such I would have passed this exam. Other then the one horrible section I found the rest very good and the questions not overly difficult. Once I started hitting questions about RIS and other topics I was feeling really good about it. I really thought I passed with an 800 or so. icon_eek.gif

So for anybody about to write. Watch for questions about security templates and analyzing them. I felt that was the toughest part of the exam for me. But it should be easily passed with proper preparation. I can guarantee I won't fail my next write. :D With 4 sections I aced or nearly aced I won't fail it next trip. icon_twisted.gif
  • somedudefromthenetsomedudefromthenet Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too have not given any importance about getting certified in the past and I've been in the IT field for more than 10 years, decided last april to take action and get certified.

Have you tried using practice exams? They are based on the exam objectives and will definitely give you an edge for the exam. It is a good thing that the second shot voucher is back.

I'm sure you will pass this exam icon_cool.gif

Overclocked Admin
    coffee.jpg
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll get it next time. Sorry to hear you lost to it, but keep studying.

Also, I approve of your avatar.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • ddoudddoud Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't sweat it bro. I failed it as well. In fact I am retaking on Friday. I felt like I knew enough and probably underestimated the test. I've been in the biz for over 12 years and still came up short. Don't rely soley on experience on this test. It helps but not enough. This time I am more focused and more prepared.

I too have been resistant to certs because I hate taking test, but trying to find a job and not have any certs is extremely tough in todays market. So I am biting the bullet as well and shooting to be an MCSE by end of year with specialty of security and messaging.

Wish me luck. :D
    Darren
    Phil 4:13
    Well I did my rewrite and passed with an 810! :)

The funny part of this was after about a half hour in I had to use the washroom in a real bad way. So I was flying and finished it in 1 hour flat. I think I would have gotten a higher score if I wasn't squirming to get out of there.

A big old whew! Now on to 70-290.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They do let you out to take breaks ;)

Congratulations!
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Congrats! on the pass :D
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Cool, congrats on your pass.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass.