Passed

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

Passed with my lowest score yet, 763.

Well, I got bored last night and with the second shot I decided why not take the test? See if I can pass. I was really hating studying this, reminded me a lot of my CCNA studies and I just wanted it over.

The test was as ugly as people say. Subnetting, DNS, DHCP, IIS, wSUS never stop. But shockingly there were at least 2 questions very detailed to Exchange server and another couple about some pretty advanced registry issues. In addition there were a number of planning questions, which I didn't care for one bit as I didn't feel the subject was covered in any of my material.

Over all I have to slam the Sybex book on this one, I can say less than half the material was covered that was on the exam. The labs were laughable off. Transcender was way off too, but certainly helpful for the DNS parts.

I used
www.vtc.com
Sybex
Microsoft Press
Transcender

Hit me up with any questions.

Not sure what to tackle next, I am thinking Exchange 2003 as the elective as my new job uses it. But I am not even certain if the test if valid still for that one.

MCSA w007.
-Daniel

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

Yes Exchange (either 2003 or 2007) are valid electives.
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Way to go Daniel! Congratulations!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass and MCSA!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the MCSA icon_thumright.gif

Since you said Transcender was lacking on this one, what do you recommend for practice tests? I am using Transcender myself and I'd say that it hit DNS and DHCP pretty well (that's all I have done so far)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, both on the pass and the new MCSA status. Good luck with your Exchange studies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks everyone!
    MobilOne wrote:
    Congratulations on the MCSA icon_thumright.gif

Since you said Transcender was lacking on this one, what do you recommend for practice tests? I am using Transcender myself and I'd say that it hit DNS and DHCP pretty well (that's all I have done so far)

I really don't know what to say here, I used them and passed. So I guess they work. But the types of questions I ran into really did look nothing like the Transcender exams. Much more design stuff than you would expect.

I really credit my pass to my CCNA, without it I don't think the materials I used would have resulted in a pass for me.
    -Daniel
    Oh ok, I think I'll get the Self Test software as well to shore up any Transcender missed out on.

So your applying for a new job yet, Daniel? Last time I read about you, you said that you were pulled up for using "advanced troubleshooting" in your call centre job. I am sure you must be looking forward to some serious troubleshooting and getting rewarded for it!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• somedudefromthenetsomedudefromthenet Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for passing the exam! icon_cool.gif You're on your way to MCSE now that you are an MCSA

I'll be taking the test this monday and I hope I dont bleed through my ears and eyes icon_cry.gif

1. I Hate Subnetting
    2. I Hate MS-Press book chapter 11

Overclocked Admin
    coffee.jpg
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey Daniel, grats on the pass and the MCSA icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Congrats on the pass Daniel.
    Is still the second shot available? I thought it was no more available for exams booked after 30 June in any case.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, the second shot is back until June 2009 :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    bertieb wrote:
    Yep, the second shot is back until June 2009 :D
    Cool :D
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MobilOne wrote:
    Oh ok, I think I'll get the Self Test software as well to shore up any Transcender missed out on.

So your applying for a new job yet, Daniel? Last time I read about you, you said that you were pulled up for using "advanced troubleshooting" in your call centre job. I am sure you must be looking forward to some serious troubleshooting and getting rewarded for it!!

I just took a new job. Paying a nice $8k more a year with less hours and less commute.

I took 3 weeks off, hit disneyland, camping, hiking, vegas, too awesome.

But yes, I am gonna be administering ESX Server, Exchange that sorta thing. Just had my first day today, so I can't comment yet. But people were nice at least. Cool thing about this place is they pay for certs. Training plus a bonus for each one you earn on their list. So sounds nice.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote:
    I just took a new job. Paying a nice $8k more a year with less hours and less commute.

But yes, I am gonna be administering ESX Server, Exchange that sorta thing. Just had my first day today, so I can't comment yet. But people were nice at least. Cool thing about this place is they pay for certs. Training plus a bonus for each one you earn on their list. So sounds nice.

That holiday was well deserved, achieving the MCSA is no mean feat by any standards. Dunno how I am going to react when I get the MCSA/E!

It's good that your work pays fo the certs, mine does too but I wish they gave bonuses for each cert I earn. We'll be getting some ITIL training soon, not keen on doing that, I was hoping they could give us some technical traning or provide something like VMWare Workstation free for studies. But they do provide Transcenders, CBT Nuggets, an Experts-Exchange corporate account and a company car icon_wink.gif So, I guess it somewhat makes up for it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MobilOne wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:

That holiday was well deserved, achieving the MCSA is no mean feat by any standards. Dunno how I am going to react when I get the MCSA/E!

It's good that your work pays fo the certs, mine does too but I wish they gave bonuses for each cert I earn. We'll be getting some ITIL training soon, not keen on doing that, I was hoping they could give us some technical traning or provide something like VMWare Workstation free for studies. But they do provide Transcenders, CBT Nuggets, an Experts-Exchange corporate account and a company car icon_wink.gif So, I guess it somewhat makes up for it.

Hi MobilOne where do you work, and what is your job? I also live in Melbourne and have recently started try to obtain certifications :)
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
    Daniel333 wrote:

Wonderful, I would want that was even in Italy, but is not so.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)