Options

Netapps

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
We are implementing Netapp solution, I was wondering what resource to look just to get my feet wet with this technology. I am fiddling around their main site http://www.netapp.com/us/ so far.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Have you actually bought a NetApp yet? If so and you have access to the customer support area then you can download the NetApp simulator. Its built from the same codebase as the real filers so you can experiment as much as you want inside there.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    Have you actually bought a NetApp yet? If so and you have access to the customer support area then you can download the NetApp simulator. Its built from the same codebase as the real filers so you can experiment as much as you want inside there.

Not yet, I was just told that we will soon, I have not even seen Vendors actually go to our site.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Like tiersten said, when you get the product get online and download the simulator (it runs in lots of Linux distros) and start playing. There are some great stuff available from NetApp Univeristy (or whatever its called) - some resources are free - others are courses that (as with anything storage related) cost a fortune.

Do you know which filer you bought? Is this a small or large company?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I got told a story about the simulator by my netapp trainer. Netapp sent a copy of the sim to a potential client who wanted to see how it worked etc... A long time later, they got a tech support request from them which was puzzling because they hadn't bought a filer. They did some investigating and found out that the user was running the simulator on a big server and storing data inside that. Performance would be terrible but probably okay if you're just using it as an archive.

The simulator has a limit on how big your virtual disks can be. I can't remember if they said that was the reason for the limit or not...

As for whether this story is true or not, I have no idea :)
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's hilarious! icon_lol.gif

I couldn't imagine running anything on it though. Man it would suck compared to the real thing. :D
  • Options
    Bluearc is currently deploying a storage on one of our empty rack, interesting this storage uses a netgear switches hehe, but they are pretty huge.