Ping issue

teximo19teximo19 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
What should be done in order to send ping between two hosts in different vlans. They are at the same subnet and no L3 device on the medium. Or nothing more required to achive ping messages.

Regards.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They need to be in the same VLAN unless you bring an L3 device into the mix.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    you cannot have 2 different vlans with the same subnets.

It has to be different subnets. And they can only coimmunicate if a layer3 device is present.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • montanablue2montanablue2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually you can ping between two different VLAN's on the same subnet if you set up a BVI interface instead of a SVI interface to link the two. A BVI can bridge between the two VLANs so they can both be on the same subnet. I don't think it's recommended by Cisco however. They call it "fallback bridging" if I remember rightly.
    I had it set up by someone else on my last corporate network I administered and it was a $%$#% to migrate off of.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    teximo19 wrote:
    What should be done in order to send ping between two hosts in different vlans. They are at the same subnet and no L3 device on the medium. Or nothing more required to achive ping messages.

Regards.

teximo19,

What you should do is to use an L3 device between the two VLANs. What you also should do is to use different subnets for the different VLANs. You can achieve ping messages of "destination unreachable" by currently doing nothing more.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the only way to solve what you originally described would be to bridge the two vlans.
    rm -rf /
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't fallback bridge IP traffic on a switch, only traffic the switch can't route. You can use proxy arp if you subnet correctly.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • montanablue2montanablue2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to dtlokee for correcting me. I was getting my terms mixed up. BVI's are associated with Integrated Routing and Bridging, which can bridge IP addresses. Fallback Bridging, like he said, cannot bridge IP.