Options

Prometric Problems

RogMcDogRogMcDog Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am really fed up with Prometric. Or maybe it's my testing centre - they blame Prometric and I don't know who to believe or what to do about it.

I have taken 3 Microsfot exams this year and passed them all with good scores (900+). There were technical problems every time (exam crashing part way through, etc) but the big problem is that for all 3 exams the score sheet failed to print. So I have nothing - no proof of my score or anything. As the exams cost £90 I really do expect a better service.

For the first two the pass was registered correctly with Microsoft and I only passed the third one yesterday so I guess it's a little early for that one (although previiously they registeredt right away). But Microsfot only show pass / fail and don't show the actual scores. Also the score sheets are good things to show potential employers and look good.

So what do I do? Is it worth writing to Prometric? Should I write to Microsoft? I'm at the point where I don't want to take any mroe exams and it's going to hold back my career. Also I doubt Microsoft are pleased with the impression that they can't even run an exam without it crashing let alone an OS. Bum bum bum. I'm really bummed with the overall poor level of service.

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    If you really feel strongly about it, then write to both Prometric and Microsoft (I wrote to MS about Prometric and didn't get a reply icon_sad.gif ). I don't believe that it's a testing centre issue, I believe it's rather a Prometric problem as I've taken exams at centres that are both Vue and Prometric, I've had problems with exams that I've taken with Prometric but no problems with exams taken with Vue.

-Ken
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    My experience with prometric has been good, until the start of this year. I suffered long lock ups during my 2000 - 2003 upgrade the exams, they are nevre racking enough without that.

I must admit, I would NOT leave until I had a copy of the score sheet, this is the only proof you get. The site administrator can issue a re-print if the first does not succeed (had to do that once).

Lucky for me my local center is now Pearson VUE and most of this years exams have been there (no problems at all, even though the center has only been open 6 months).

I have a Citrix exam that I need to take soon, I have tried book though PearsonVUE but it seems my local site cannot offer any times. I have no problems booking it with my local Prometric so I will have to go there and see if things have improved any whilst enduring this 4 hour monster exam.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We have here a few testing center here in Essex / Southend and the first one I have been to was horrible - it didn't crash or anything it just looked filthy - old PCs etc.

Then I was going for the exam 70-501 which wasn't offereed at the center I have been to so I browsed randomly to the other ones nad went to one which is about 30 minute drive away from me... I haven't looked back since .. that center does normal technical training as well and therefore the PCs are in good shape .. the staff is nice and they do upload the results as soon as the last scheduled exam is over.

So latest the same night I have the 'passed' on the prometric site and if Microsoft is not sleeping the "congrats" email the following morning between 5am and 6am ....

They shouold really inspect each single test center more often and even do test exams etc.

Although having said that - the 'good' testing center I have been to did a huge mistake .. I finished quite quickly and was looking for that bird .. couldn't find her and was walking around like a lost child in a supermarket ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had similar problems with the last few prometric tests that I've taken. I also had a test where the results sheet failed to print. I called prometric and they emailed me a scan of my results and eventually mailed me an official results sheet.

Prometric needs to get their act together. Good luck on getting some results.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • Options
    Gomjaba wrote:
    about 30 minute drive away from me...

Not ITEC Learning Technologies is it?
  • Options
    stupidboy wrote:
    Gomjaba wrote:

It is ... icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    I've had similar problems with the last few prometric tests that I've taken. I also had a test where the results sheet failed to print. I called prometric and they emailed me a scan of my results and eventually mailed me an official results sheet.

Prometric needs to get their act together. Good luck on getting some results.

Well after spending quite a while nagging various parties on the phone yesterday I got Prometric to recognise my pass (which now shows on my MS transcript - yay) and also Prometric agreed to post me the score sheets. I guess they could take a while coming from the Netherlands but it's good to know they can do that anyway.

The testing centre said it was because there was something incorrect against my profile with Prometric which could well be the case as they totally screwed up my account when I started taking tests again at the start of this year (they created two accounts with the same username and blamed me - how is that even possible??) Anyway Prometric say this isn't the case and the reason I didn't get my score sheet is because the printer at the testing centre wasn't working - utter rubbish.

Anyway it looks like they're getting it sorted out and I guess I will just have to phone for my score sheet every time I take an exam. It's lucky I'm the patient type....

Thanks for your comments guys.

Edit - I e-mailed Microsoft about the problem to let them know the very poor standard of their chosen test vendor and got a "standard" cut and paste reply. Guess they don't care either.
  • Options
    Gomjaba wrote:
    stupidboy wrote:
    Gomjaba wrote:

It is ... icon_eek.gif

It is one of the best around, even going into London, I have not come across a better site. However, the delivery of the test has been an issue there too. I have had these lockups where the screen just goes white for 3-4 minutes at a time. Waiting has been the only cure.

RogMcDog - I am glad that you are getting this sorted, but I still think this is a Prometric issue. It seems that both Microsoft and Promteric are so far into bed that they will not hear a bad word about each other.

Are there other centres near by that you can use? Perhaps things will run a little smoother there. Yes, I know this should not be the answer but it might make things a little more bearable whilst you are working along your certification path.
  • Options
    I went for a Promteric exam today. I signed in and was told:
      • Please place your things in a locker. • Please place your mobile in the locker – it was switched off and in my pocket as per the countless exams I've taken, never mind in it went. • Please place your watch in the locker - I've never been asked/made to do this before, never mind in it went. • You can't chew gum in there - WTF! I have always chewed gum in every exam EVER!

Other than above and small (sub 10 seconds lockup) all was fine. I expected more problems, however this was a Citrix exam.
  • Options
    stupidboy wrote:
    I went for a Promteric exam today. I signed in and was told:
      • Please place your things in a locker. • Please place your mobile in the locker – it was switched off and in my pocket as per the countless exams I've taken, never mind in it went. • Please place your watch in the locker - I've never been asked/made to do this before, never mind in it went. • You can't chew gum in there - WTF! I have always chewed gum in every exam EVER!

Other than above and small (sub 10 seconds lockup) all was fine. I expected more problems, however this was a Citrix exam.

I'm glad your experience was smoother. It's really off-putting when the system fails. Prometric have a huge problem and need to sort it out. Until they do they are losing credability rapidly - along with Microsoft by assiciation. What can you do?
  • Options
    stupidboy wrote:
    It is one of the best around, even going into London, I have not come across a better site. However, the delivery of the test has been an issue there too. I have had these lockups where the screen just goes white for 3-4 minutes at a time. Waiting has been the only cure.

I think it happened only once to me (the lockup that is) but it also just took 20 seconds or so ...

I had to go to another site on Saturday for my Vista exam .. A college .. was the only one which was available on a Saturday (8 am !!!!!!!!!) ... Anyway - this one even kicked me out of the system.. looks like a bug because it did it all the time ...

Happened at the end of the exam when you can check your "marked for review" questions.

I reviewed one questions and instead of 'Next' I hit "Review Screen" - next thing I saw it said 'Terminating' ...

After logging in again with the SR number I started off where I left it - so no harm done .. but still .. knocked me out every time I wanted to check the review screen rather than browsing through the questions ....
  • Options
    JJArmsJJArms Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RogMcDog wrote:
    I am really fed up with Prometric. Or maybe it's my testing centre - they blame Prometric and I don't know who to believe or what to do about it.

I have taken 3 Microsfot exams this year and passed them all with good scores (900+). There were technical problems every time (exam crashing part way through, etc) but the big problem is that for all 3 exams the score sheet failed to print. So I have nothing - no proof of my score or anything. As the exams cost £90 I really do expect a better service.

For the first two the pass was registered correctly with Microsoft and I only passed the third one yesterday so I guess it's a little early for that one (although previiously they registeredt right away). But Microsfot only show pass / fail and don't show the actual scores. Also the score sheets are good things to show potential employers and look good.

So what do I do? Is it worth writing to Prometric? Should I write to Microsoft? I'm at the point where I don't want to take any mroe exams and it's going to hold back my career. Also I doubt Microsoft are pleased with the impression that they can't even run an exam without it crashing let alone an OS. Bum bum bum. I'm really bummed with the overall poor level of service.

I am a few months behind, but if you are still looking for advice -- be a pest! Write to both Prometric and MS and explain your situation. Don't flood them with letters but write a letter once a week every week until you get a response.

I had the same problem with getting a voucher from Cisco, they said they sent it in the mail but I never received it, so I wrote them weekly and no response. So after a few months I wrote to them daily both by Email and snail-mail. Eventually they "found" my voucher but I think they just gave it to me just to shut me up. icon_twisted.gif

Just be a pest!

Regards,

JJArms
  • Options
    techimastertechimaster Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't flood Microsoft with letters or abuse. Not only will they take longer to answer you but they will probably just ignore you.

As for the testing centers, you get some bad ones and some good. I would take it up with the center themselves, they have an obligation to provide exam conditions as described by the Prometric terms. If they fail on these terms then they lose there contract.

Personally, i've had no problems but thats probably because i found a good test center and stuck to taking all my exams there. Just keep your eye out and check forums for oppinions! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    EMoMoneyEMoMoney Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've only had one mild problem at Prometric. My last exam did exit prematurely after answering one of the questions. The staff came in and brought it back online after about 30 seconds, nothing was lost, I picked up right where I left off. Maybe taking the exams at the Corporate Office in Baltimore has something to do with the limited problems I had.
  • Options
    kezwkezw Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gomjaba wrote:
    stupidboy wrote:
    Anyway - this one even kicked me out of the system.. looks like a bug because it did it all the time ...

Happened at the end of the exam when you can check your "marked for review" questions.

I reviewed one questions and instead of 'Next' I hit "Review Screen" - next thing I saw it said 'Terminating' ...

After logging in again with the SR number I started off where I left it - so no harm done .. but still .. knocked me out every time I wanted to check the review screen rather than browsing through the questions ....

It did it to me during 70-291 on Tuesday, when I clicked the next button. 2 hours 45 minutes into the exam as I was just checking over my last 10 or so answered questions I got "Terminating..." The only difference being, when they logged me back in again, all of my answers had vanished(!)

The testing centre gave me the wrong phone number for Prometric customer care and wrote the ticket number down wrong!

2 days later... still no result. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have had really good experiences with my testing center. Its not the closest one to me, but its the only one open during the weekends. It is part of a community college. I don't take my cellphone into the exam because I've found that its just plain easier to leave it in the car. I do take a drink with me and they're okay with my bringing it into the testing room after the proctor exams it briefly. They are prompt, I get my test results printed right then and there, and I leave relatively happy every time presuming I passed.

Though, during my last visit, I did notice that the proctor has issues with three computers while he was trying to setup my exam. And the exam servers, I noticed have major crusted dust on the front bezels. I haven't had an exam crash on me yet after all the exams that I've taken, but so far the testing center that I use has been great for the past several years. :)

IRVINE VALLEY COLLEGE
    5500 IRVINE CTR DR JEFFREY RD
    BLDG B300 RM B355
    IRVINE, CALIFORNIA 92618
    Phone: 9494515468 Site Code: CA0