CCNA:Security! UPDATED - 2nd attempt - PASSED

LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
UPDATE - (September 2nd) - Second attempt PASS!
My Score: 955

Breakdown:
Describe the security threats facing modern network infrastructures 100%
Secure Cisco routers 81%
Implement AAA on Cisco routers using local router database and external ACS 100%
Mitigate threats to Cisco routers and networks using ACLs 100%
Implement secure network management and reporting 100%
Mitigate common Layer 2 attacks 100%
Implement the Cisco IOS firewall feature set using SDM 100%
Implement the Cisco IOS IPS feature set using SDM 100%
Implement site-to-site VPNs on Cisco Routers using SDM 86%

I actually finished with just under half an hour remaining on the clock... This was my free-retake so I actually got to take advantage of the second chance. I don't think it was any easier the second time around but I do think it was more fun knowing the answer and not guessing like last time.

What I used -
CCNA:Security Official Exam Cert Guide - Cisco Press
Cisco Learning Network Website - Yes, it actually does have some useful things, 4 I think... hehe
CCIE Professional Development: Network Security Technologies and Solutions - Cisco Press Home-made flash cards.. :)

Whats Next? Well, this is my second cert ever so here's to another one hopefully alot sooner then the amount of time it took me to get this one. I passed my CCNA on August 6th of 2007 so I am already a year past that mark and only one cert later. I do have to cite my job as the primary reason for this and I guess that's a good thing. I am getting sent off to a Cisco Training Partner next week for a week-long BCMSN class and I hope to be able to put some of the BCMSN studying I have done over the last 8 months or so to use. I scheduled the exam for the first day after the class ends to see how it is and try my luck again before the second chance offer expires in early/mid October.

Time to catch up on work now... Good luck to those pursuing this cert.

UPDATE - (August 13th) - First attempt Fail
My Score: 788

Breakdown:
Describe the security threats facing modern network infrastructures 100%
Secure Cisco routers 72%
Implement AAA on Cisco routers using local router database and external ACS 83%
Mitigate threats to Cisco routers and networks using ACLs 71%
Implement secure network management and reporting 66%
Mitigate common Layer 2 attacks 50%
Implement the Cisco IOS firewall feature set using SDM 75%
Implement the Cisco IOS IPS feature set using SDM 50%
Implement site-to-site VPNs on Cisco Routers using SDM 60%

SOO close but in all honesty I am first of all truly shocked that I came that close to passing and second, happy that I didn't. I didn't expect to pass, or even come close for that matter, because I had not felt ready at all before I took it. If I actually did pass the exam I would of felt like I cheated myself of the knowledge I should of known to really be able to claim that I knew what I was doing when it came to security. The exam to me was just a trial run since Cisco offers a second chance and I am very confident that I will nail it next time. I already rescheduled the exam for Sept 2nd and I am continuing to study starting this weekend.

BTW - SDM bleh! Give me a command prompt any day...

Original Post:
I have been actually doing a lot of security stuff over the last 2 months and I just finished the CCIE Security book. I see only material that I read about in that previous book so I am hoping that its all review... Here's to me getting my CCNA:Security on August 4th! Wish me luck!

**Rescheduled the test to August 12th**

Again

**Rescheduled the test to August 13th**

**Scheduled makeup for September 2nd**

Comments

• IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Good Luck.....I am thinking of giving this new cert a try later this year. Let us know how it goes.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    LOkrasa wrote:
    I have been actually doing a lot of security stuff over the last 2 months and I just finished the CCIE Security book. I see only material that I read about in that previous book so I am hoping that its all review... Here's to me getting my CCNA:Security on August 4th! Wish me luck!

Wow already best of luck to you I may shoot for later in august if things go well.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    That's fantastic!!! :)

I've started reading the book but I'm trying to knock out my CCNP first then go CCNA:Sec before I start CCSP...

The CCIE Security book from Cisco Press yeah?? Network Security Technologies and Solutions or something like that right?

I need to get me that book! Good luck for August 4th :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck. It looks like a lot of the SND exam, so if you're that far ahead, you're probably in pretty good shape. Are you going to go on to CCSP after that?
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A.P.A wrote:
    The CCIE Security book from Cisco Press yeah?? Network Security Technologies and Solutions or something like that right?

I need to get me that book! Good luck for August 4th :)

Yeah the CCIE book is actually VERY good. I got it just for reference but it was very good in explaining everything althouh it doesnt go into too much detail on all topics. Some are very basic intros which tell you where to look for more info, typically a http address to a cisco doc.

Thanks!
    dynamik wrote:
    Good luck. It looks like a lot of the SND exam, so if you're that far ahead, you're probably in pretty good shape. Are you going to go on to CCSP after that?

I am doing my CCNP right after this. I have already been studying for the BSCI for 6 months or so and I am taking that Sept 4th. The week after that I got a Cisco BCMSN and I hope to be able to knock that exam out a month after the class. The goal is to get the CCNP by years end and start CCDA/CCDP track right after. CCSP/CCVP will be late 09 or early 2010. Although I had a plan for the CCNP which did not really occur the way I had imagined so this is all just wishful thinking at this point. Following through is going to be a long journey... ;)
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Don't think of the journey as long, think of it as beneficial and the time will pass without you even realizing.... and bang all of a sudden your a CCNP,DP,VP & SP

That's how I'm looking at it as well.... although I'm keen on doing the IP instead of the VP at the moment...

:)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    I rescheduled my exam for August 11th. I had an unfortunate weekend that destroyed my studying plans... (AC Unit died in the Server Room... UGH!) I will post my experience/results/study materials after the exam. I am pretty sure this will be a super tough exam so I am not expecting much...

-Les
  • TMM3TMM3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I skimmed through the book once then got impatient as to what the exam was like, scheduled and took it today just for kicks. I got a 633 with 40 minutes left. The exam was pretty fun, there is some cli and sdm configs, plenty of protocols and algorithms to memorize. I wouldn't take the exam too lightly. I plan to take it again next weekend after I glaze through the book again.
    I too plan to go through ccnp after ccna sec.
    Enjoy and good luck.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck man.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    [email protected]
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Thanks!

Only a couple days away... Going to be locking myself inside the house for the next 4 days. I will post results either way when I am finished. Hope to be a CCNA:Sec on Tuesday... :)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck,

you'll have to let me know what this one is like as im tempted to do it after NA
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    LOkrasa wrote:
    Thanks!

Only a couple days away... Going to be locking myself inside the house for the next 4 days. I will post results either way when I am finished. Hope to be a CCNA:Sec on Tuesday... :)

Best of luck to ya!!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's Tuesday... updates? :D
    I actually rescheduled AGAIN to tomorrow morning and just didn't bother updating it on here especially since no one asked... hehe. I will give you guys something tomorrow but I can just say one thing - I do NOT expect to pass at all. I just don't feel ready but I cant delay this any longer or I wont go in to take it until like 2010. I am going to try tomorrow, see where I need to improve and retake the first week of September. No one knows what it is like so I dont really know which area to hit harder and I don't have the time to hit it all hard so... tomorrow is my trial run. hehe
    Yup, hence why I'm hoping to hear what you have to say about it (within the limits of the NDA of course - which in Cisco's case are at least clearly spelled out). Good luck nonetheless maybe you'll be in for a surprise. ;)
    astorrs wrote:
    Yup, hence why I'm hoping to hear what you have to say about it (within the limits of the NDA of course - which in Cisco's case are at least clearly spelled out). Good luck nonetheless maybe you'll be in for a surprise. ;)

Thanks hehe... I would love to be surprised on this one.

SO! I am everyone's guinea pig on this one?!? Thanks guys!
    Thanks for the follow-up post. :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You rescheduled right after labor day?

Your holiday weekend: icon_study.gif
    My holiday weekend: drunken_smilie.gif

Aw, who am I kidding? It'll be: drunken_smilie.gificon_study.gif

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear about the fail. Are they telling you what the passing score is for these exams now? I always thought they kept that a secret. Sounds like you'll have it for sure next time. Good luck!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Are they telling you what the passing score is for these exams now?

Passing scores are not to be given out by candidates per the NDA.

Too bad on the fail, but being close you should be able to nail it next time!

There sure seem to be a lot of people taking advantage of the second chance deal. I have my next exam next week, but I may take it sooner with the second chance being free.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Passing scores are not to be given out by candidates per the NDA.

My mistake... I updated my post.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I personally don't think giving passing scores really matters. Its not like it will help someone ****...

I was just answering dynamik's question, not trying to say you were cheating or anything. We know you aren't that type of guy!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, you didn't do too bad at all. Thanks for the areas they score on. From that it sounds like I something I would probably be able to do without all that much studying. Good luck on the second attempt.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Too bad on the fail but i'm sure you'll get it next time you're using the come back retake right?
    shednik wrote:
    Too bad on the fail but i'm sure you'll get it next time you're using the come back retake right?
    Thats right! I already rescheduled and the promo code worked... YAY!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lokrasa,

after taking the exam and going over some material what would be your opinion about taking it after the ccna be instead of other routes? or would you take this exam after other ones like ccda ccnp etc
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    lokrasa,

after taking the exam and going over some material what would be your opinion about taking it after the ccna be instead of other routes? or would you take this exam after other ones like ccda ccnp etc

Hard to answer really... I only stepped away from my CCNP studies to take this exam because I was doing some of this stuff at work. I wasn't using the SDM to do it but I was reading about how it worked so I figured this would be a fun cert to get and I was right. The material is very interesting... I always wanted to know how IKE Phase1/2 worked and were used to build a VPN tunnel. I would recommend the exam for anyone that has any interest in security for sure. Just don't expect an easy cert... ;)
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    I personally don't think giving passing scores really matters. Its not like it will help someone ****...

I was just answering dynamik's question, not trying to say you were cheating or anything. We know you aren't that type of guy!

What an odd rule. icon_confused.gif
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From your descriptions it sounds very close to the ISCW exam.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.