Cryptography

IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
Greetings,

I am currently studying for my Security+ with an exam date of 8/26. I have a good understanding of most of the concepts except for cryptography. Not sure why this section just isn't sticking. I am hoping to just wake up one night at 3 am with a lightbulb over my head like eureka...but in case that doesn't happen, does anybody recommend any good material they used for that information.

Thanks
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there anything in particular you are having trouble with. Studying PKI is very useful to help tie everything in together (Certificates, Digital Signature, Symmetric and Asymmetric keys, Hashing)

http://www.petri.co.il/public_key_infrastructure_pki.htm
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What resources are you using and what are you specifically having problems with? To be honest, you will learn a ton just going through Wikipedia and learning about every algorithm and term you come across.

Also, check out Security Now! episodes 30-37.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Now! (Wikipedia actually has the most convenient list for it, they included links to the episodes)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cryptography is something that I just didn't "get" until I played with it first hand. Even though this is a vendor neutral test, there isn't anything that says you can't install some vendor's implementation of PKI and play around with it. If you have a virtual lab and windows 2003 media, and a client machine with Outlook, set one up and play around with it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Thanks for all your input and suggestions. I am sure it will eventually click, I went through this same thing with subnetting until one day a light bulb went off and it all made perfect sense. The issue I am having right now is just the whole concept of the PKI system. I probably isn't that difficult but the whole concept just seems confusing to me. I have 2 weeks to go so it may just be pre-test jitters. Anywho...i listened to one of the security now audio clips and I liked it alot. I am at work now so I will try the rest this evening. Thanks for that one, I may even look at the others too just for my own knowledge and growth.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    If you used the Syngress book for your 70-290 test, look at the second half of chapter 5. Pretty decent overview.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.